Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do any of you guys/gals...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006 | 12:15 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Default Do any of you guys/gals...

...own a Saab 93 or 93 Sport? We're interested, and collecting data. More ponies than the comparable BMW or Benz, not as much as the Passat. Ergonomics look really good. I'm having trouble with the Passat front end treatment. I like the thought of a 6-speed manual, and realize that it won't be as good as the new Boxster. We're also not sure about the new 3-series styling. The size of the 93, it's mileage, etc., all look pretty good. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry in advance for such a weird post!
Pete
Old 08-03-2006 | 12:36 AM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Strangely enough, I just got a new 9-3 convertible. Tired of the gas cost of a huge truck. Still have my 911. Saab is different and are not all over the place, I like that. I like cars where the key goes in a strange location! I love the car and have had numerous compliments. Mine is a 2 liter turbo. Still has lag, gets 25 mpg around town, tons of buttons which I think are from their Saab "jet" heritage. Only downside is although it's mostly foreign made, it still has GM influence. That means nice, but not BMW or VW etc interior quality. Saab also has great service as they have limited dealerships. They delivered my car, will come back and get it for service and leave me a new Saab as a loaner. Pretty sweet. I'm about 100 miles from the dealership.

good luck,
Old 08-03-2006 | 09:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Don't currently have one Pete but my wife had a Turbo a few years ago and I never liked it. Sold it the day after she test drove a BMW 330Ci (cab), which has been a SUPER car. Tons of power, great handling, excellent stereo, and comfortable for trips. Only reason we will sell it is to buy the new M3 when it finally arrives next year... Drive a BMW and a Saab (and an Audi too!) then decide...
Old 08-03-2006 | 12:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

86 & Gary: Thank you for your comments! Our current car, an '84 V8 Touareg, is coming up on its last year of warranty in October so we thought that it would be a good time to trade it while it still has value. It's a bit thirsty, but we like the car so much that it really hasn't mattered enough to get rid of it - but the 332 on-board computers (and no extended warranty) scare the heck out of us! It looks like we're going to be spending some time at car dealers this weekend...
Pete
Old 08-03-2006 | 01:02 PM
Peter Bull
Advanced

Peter, don't buy a Saab!

A company I worked for had two, I drove one of them for about 10k miles during a year. It was a 2001 model turbo.

Saab has this oversteering rear suspension which they claim gives the car a sporty agile feel. What is does is make the car move like a sidewinder snake on the road. Combined with a rather vague and insensitive steering it was rather uncomfortable. The rear end steers back and forth without any feedback into the steering wheel. This is, however, less pronounced if you have good quality low profile tires.

This was an old car, but all the Saab's have this rear suspension. I have driven a brand new Saab 9-3 Aero and a turbo, and they have the same tendencies. Not to the same extent though. Even the 9-5 behaves like that.

I am used to driving an '84 911 so that is my reference and even for long hauls I prefer the 911.

Last edited by Peter Bull; 08-03-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2006 | 02:58 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Friend of mine bought a 9-3 Aero(?), has complained about how yeah, it's got this feature & that option, but how it's not better than the sum of its build sheet.

Had a guy at the shop bought one from the auction, turned out someone sawdusted the engine to quiet it down for sale, the engine was junk <100k miles.

I think the older ones were much better.

Good luck with the purchase Pete, maybe someone in the Saab community has done a Used Saab Story book?
Old 08-03-2006 | 03:14 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Fred: LOL! The Used Saab (Sob) Story... Actually the 9-3 Aero is the car we've been reading about, and it looks like, from the above posts, this might not be a car that a 911 guy can love. Again, thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated!

Pete
Old 08-03-2006 | 03:37 PM
gerry100
Pro

Saab used to be a quirky car with devoted follwers, maybe that's why you are attracted to it being a 911 guy.

Known as the state car of Vermont and driven by people with tweed jackets and elbow patches, they were known for being good in snow (front drive). I drove a turbo years ago and it was fasty but the feel and handling were crummy( way too soflty sprung).

Maybe there is a reason they wouldn't let those 17 engineers build airplanes anymore.

I did hear that the some of the new ones( 9-3?) are biult by Subaru which would be a plus.

I'd buy a 2-3 year old BMW 330i instead.
Old 08-03-2006 | 03:45 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Yes, one model (9-2X?) is essentially the Impreza / WRX rebadged. One of the benefits of GM owning half the world, Fuji Heavy Equipment owns Subaru, GM owns Fuji, GM owns Saab...
Old 08-04-2006 | 08:12 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

My sticker says, assembled in Austria, engine: Germany, trans: Japan. total parts content from USA/Canada = 1%

It's no Porsche but I find it great on winding roads. I've had Mercedes 190E, BMW735IL, Volvo V-70 and XC-90, VW Jetta GLI and of course the P car. I'd rate them...P car, Saab, VW, and then the rest.

Add the fact they were using a 73% residual after two years and that makes the payment LOW!

I'd imagine the Aero model is pretty nice.
Old 08-04-2006 | 10:19 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Pete,
Get an Audi S4 Avant. Room for the kids and dog, 4-doors plus rear hatch, quattro all wheel drive, front, rear, and side curtain air bags, best interior of any car, low-sleek, tight suspension with an aggressive motor for driving enjoyment, and most importantly, German engineering! Sent you an email

///Nick
Old 08-04-2006 | 10:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Well. if you are considering Audi I personally would try out an RS4.. other than that the S4 is *yawn* less than exciting to say the least...
Old 08-05-2006 | 12:32 AM
yumyum1667
Racer

Peter,

Not directly answering your question but I own a 93 Saab 900 Classic convertible. Love the car. Paid $3K with 166K on the clock and it still feels new.

Slowest car I have ever owned but a great cruiser. 30mpg on the road too.

Extremely reliable engine but the manual trannys are the weak spot.

As for the 9-3 I would avoid this if possible. My friend has been a Saab mechanic for years and he said when GM took over in 94 (I think?) quality is really bad.

Not quite what you were asking but I thought I would chime in.
Old 08-05-2006 | 05:46 PM
keto
1st Gear

Hi,

My first car, and still is, the 9-3 from 2002 as the 911SC that I got earlier this year is not exactly the perfect car for the Finnish winter :-) The Saabs used to, until recently, come from the same factory in Uusikaupunki, Finland, where they now make a majority of the Boxsters and Caymans that end up in the world market. In my opinion, the Saab is an extremely reliable premium car and for the price, it's powerful as well, considering the turbo and the upgrade options available.

The Saabs also have that degree of eccentricity that fascinate me about Porsches as well. I do love mine, but that's just silly old me :-)
Old 08-05-2006 | 11:39 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

I had a 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero. I got engine software from BSR in Sweden that significantly changed the torque and driveability and throttle response characteristics of the 2.0L turbo engine. I found for a FWD drive car the handling was very good, about as neutral as you could get with a front driver. Saab has made great inroads into taming torque-steer. The car was a very good deal because of GM discounts at the front end, but I paid for it on the back end. It was very comfortable and good ergonomics. Not the same interior quality of an Audi, but pretty nice overall. I enjoyed the car for 2 years, no problems or glitches. I put Michelins Pilot Sport PS2 tyres on it and it rode and tracked very well. I found the car far more 'tossable' feeling than heavy Audis (had a B5 S4). Plus (for what it's worth) Saabs are not hideous like new Bangled-BMWs. I found that I didn't need the 4 doors, back seat or large trunk, hence the Cooper for a 'modern commuter'. I have hoped that Saab would reprise the Sonnet with a 2-seat hardtop coupe based on the RWD GM architecture now used by the Solstice and Sky, but I presume GM & Saab don't think a car like that would have the sales numbers to justify building one.

Quick Reply: Do any of you guys/gals...