Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brake job/retrofit on a 74 911 -- Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 AM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake job/retrofit on a 74 911 -- Suggestions?

Hello everyone,
I haven't posted here in quite some time as my Porsche has been down since Nov. of 2004. My father and I decided to do a full brake job on our 1974 911 during Thanksgiving break which was supposed to just be rebuilding the calipers, installing a new brake booster, etc., but we ran into some complications (this scenario seems to be pretty common among older Porsche owners) and had to look into other options.

We wanted more breaking power and something that wasn't extremely expensive so we went with 4 new calipers -- (Front - ATE Type "A" Late 75-83 - Part #911-351-425-02) (Rear - ATE 911 74-83 and Turbo 76-77 - Part #911-352-907-00)
The rear calipers went on great, we installed aftermarket Earl's brake line fittings with SS brake lines. We are very happy with the setup.
The front calipers are a different story however... We bolted them up and found that the aftermarket brake line fittings will not clear the front strut tube, the original brake line, which will not work with these calipers as they are not original (we had the lightweight aluminum calipers on the front), and the old brake lines did not appear to be reuseable anyways due to the age and previous use.
We now have all the pieces we need to finish the brake job, but need to find some kind of custom brake line's or fittings to make it work. We would prefer to use Stainless Steel lines in the front as well and will eventually track the car so it needs to be race approved.

Any suggestions? I have heard you can bend your own tubing (sounds scary and questionable) or go to shops and they may custom build something. I do not know of any in the area however, I have called my local shops and have not been able to track anyone down. I live in San Diego, CA.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

Jason
(hoping to be motoring again in the very near future)
Old 08-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jason: First, you mention a brake booster. There is no booster on a '74/'74S/'74 Carrera. That said, I don't know what the difficulty is regarding lines. Go to your local Porsche dealer and order the strut to caliper hard lines for an SC, and then purchase your SS lines for a stock '74 car (which will connect the line from the master to the strut). Incidentally, you will find a lot of different SS lines out there, even Kevlar versions, but few are DOT rated. If the car was mine I'd use new o.e. rubber lines, or DOT Kevlar lines, not any of the other options.
Pete
Old 08-02-2006, 10:27 PM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your response. Forgive my error in the posting. By Brake booster I meant and should have said brake master cylinder.

So you mean to say that the SC hard lines will fit in these calipers? I didn't think these were SC calipers, I thought they were normal early 80's 911 calipers. Do SC lines work in a variety of calipers?

** Update ** I just checked PelicanParts to see all of the hardlines they offer and found one result that seems to match, although it doesnt say its for an SC, it said its for an 83-89 911 (excluding turbo). Part number is: 911-355-607-03-OEM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item9
From the picture provided on Pelican Parts, it does not appear that this line will work, the end going into the caliper would need to be nearly a 180% angle to clear the strut tube.

If I need, I can take pictures of the caliper mounted and the clearance between the strut and caliper.

Thanks,

Jason

Quick Reply: Brake job/retrofit on a 74 911 -- Suggestions?