Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

25K, tell me what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's 101F outside, when we talking about AC here.
i think 964 should be fine too.
993 maybe too hard to find for $25, i don't care much about body line, either coupe, cab. or targe will be fine.
thanks for the inputs.
joey c , looks like you 've done the test drive for me already. nice report for "porsche test drives "
Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a/c is my main issue..if my 87 had good a/c,i would keep for sure..the only car i really liked more than my 87 was the new 911(997)..the 03 c4s was not an option at all..these 3.2s are really fun and reliable,but i live in nc and man its too hot right now to enjoy anything BUT a/c..i might buy a mini cooper and keep the 3.2..or sell and buy a boxster or an audi s4..i know i would miss a porsche but this heat is a killer.i am somewhat over the hp thing,so a base cayman or boxster would be fine..j
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
rscredon
Instructor

For 25K you can get a very nice 911 in good condition in the '87-'89 range. Of course I am biased.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by rscredon
For 25K you can get a very nice 911 in good condition in the '87-'89 range. Of course I am biased.
lol
i like those frog-eyes!
funny i feel "incomplete" about not owning an air-cooled 911.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 AM
joey c
Pro

you can buy mine...maybe,j
Old 08-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

pl: A couple of comments. I was fortunate enough to do a road test and evaluation of the 2005 Boxsters (987) for a well-known magazine. I must tell you, I fell in love that day (on twisty country roads outside Carmel Valley in CA) - with a bright yellow S fitted with a 6-speed and 19" wheels. Granted, these cars are way out of the price range of this thread, but I think back to earlier versions ('03 was the first year with cup holders and a glass rear window), or back to '00, the first S. The 2000 S also has larger brakes, a 6-speed that is quite good, and 17" wheels. If a true two-seater fits the need I don't see any reason not to backdate that far. That said, values for the '00-03 S models are also still outside the $25K ceiling where I live. The Boxster info that I don't have is how long will they live before they need that first $3K + repair! Don't forget about '88/89 3.2 Carreras - you can buy a really good one in your price range. 964s, '92-94, are also quite good, but they're more complex and costly to repair when those cylinder base o-rings and case thru bolt o-rings start to leak - and I don't think that you'll find a good Cab in your price range. Ahhhh, so many Porsches, so little time!
Pete
Old 08-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My first advice would be to roll that money into your portfolio .. BRKB ... ?

As for cars, strategically, if you get a Box, stretch the budget and get an '01 S. All the usual Porsche buying advice applies -- fewer owners, better documentation is better than lower price. And if you get a Box, your wife will like it at least as much as the Cab, so (here's the strategy coming through) you'll have the option to reclaim the Cab and let her fly around picking up young men in her shiny new Boxster ... doh ... hang on ... maybe not a perfect strategy ... or maybe it is ... : )

As for, say, an '89 911, you'll have to be quick and smart to get one. A great '89 will sell as soon as it's on the market and you'll be shopping against some hardened, experienced buyers including the b-star-s that flip them and try to gouge real owner buyers.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
pl: A couple of comments. I was fortunate enough to do a road test and evaluation of the 2005 Boxsters (987) for a well-known magazine. I must tell you, I fell in love that day (on twisty country roads outside Carmel Valley in CA) - with a bright yellow S fitted with a 6-speed and 19" wheels. Granted, these cars are way out of the price range of this thread, but I think back to earlier versions ('03 was the first year with cup holders and a glass rear window), or back to '00, the first S. The 2000 S also has larger brakes, a 6-speed that is quite good, and 17" wheels. If a true two-seater fits the need I don't see any reason not to backdate that far. That said, values for the '00-03 S models are also still outside the $25K ceiling where I live. The Boxster info that I don't have is how long will they live before they need that first $3K + repair! Don't forget about '88/89 3.2 Carreras - you can buy a really good one in your price range. 964s, '92-94, are also quite good, but they're more complex and costly to repair when those cylinder base o-rings and case thru bolt o-rings start to leak - and I don't think that you'll find a good Cab in your price range. Ahhhh, so many Porsches, so little time!
Pete
your comments about 911/964 seems to be in line with what Excellce says. 964 has more power, but 911 is easier to maintain.
i think i will be fine with 2.7 if S is too much on price.
what do u mean by "first $3K + repair"? i think 00+ boxster are reliable, aren't they?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

I would like to get a Boxster as a daily driver but cant get over the 'Chick Car' stigma that is attached to it. Now dont kill me because I like them but it is what it is. My 88 is very reliable (now) but its just to darn hot to drive everyday. I cant wait until the fall/winter when its perfect driving temperature.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:10 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

pl,
A neighbor and friend is looking to sell his '99 dark blue Boxster. He is the original owner and has put nearly 90,000 miles on it during daily commuting. The car is very clean and is always garaged. He just picked up his new Cayman S last night, and will sell the Boxster now. He is asking $16,000.

Please PM me should you be interested in more information.

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 08-01-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super_Dave_D
I would like to get a Boxster as a daily driver but cant get over the 'Chick Car' stigma that is attached to it. Now dont kill me because I like them but it is what it is. My 88 is very reliable (now) but its just to darn hot to drive everyday. I cant wait until the fall/winter when its perfect driving temperature.
This "chick/hairdresser" put-down exists only amongst the handful of people wanting to impose that image on the Box.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
pl,
A neighbor and friend is looking to sell his '99 dark blue Boxster. He is the original owner and had put nearly 90,000 miles on it during daily commuting. The car is very clean and is always garaged. He just picked up his new Cayman S last night, and will sell the Boxster now. I believe he would be happy with something in the mid to high teens.

Please PM me should you be interested in more information.

Andreas
90K miles? is it too high? i don't know, just asking an innicent question.
would i expect many major service? water pumper. etc?

my idear was set aroung 40K mile.

thanks for your pointer.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl
what do u mean by "first $3K + repair"? i think 00+ boxster are reliable, aren't they?
No. The Boxster started life with a laundry list of problems. You might spend some time at ppbb.com and see what you think. Like most Porsches, it has improved with time.
Aside from the extra gear in the box and the superior rear suspension, you really have to drive an S versus a 2.x car -- they're very different and I would encourage anyone to find the extra dollars to afford an S. In terms of new cars, the price differential might be enough for someone to go with the Cayman instead of the Cayman S for example (given the Boxster is really a Cayman Cabriolet, right? : ) but in older cars, the delta between a stock Box and an S reflects more than residual sticker.

Of course, if you carry this debate onto the Boxster list, be prepared. : )
Old 08-01-2006, 02:48 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This "chick/hairdresser" put-down exists only amongst the handful of people wanting to impose that image on the Box.
95% ppl i meet can't tell a 996/997 cab from a boxster. so for 95% ppl, 996/997/986/987 are the same "porsche convitable"!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Since I'm shopping myself (not really for an '89, more a '72) I have weighed this same decision. My conclusion was more along the lines of "I can get the later model car cheaper and easier with each passing month while the early model car is getting harder to find and more expensive."
Personally, if you're using buying resources like pmletter.com, you'll get a better idea. And I'd take the market pricing in Excellence with a pound of salt. If I could find an unmolested '72 for the money Bruce would suggest, I'd be very happy. And if you find an '89 in excellent condition and don't pounce on it -- as long as it doesn't have a green interior and a Luv Bug paint scheme -- let me know. : )

Quick Reply: 25K, tell me what to do.