Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

25K, tell me what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's funny, here in California's "heartland," 996 Cabs are more of a chick car than the Boxsters. Most of the Boxsters in town are driven by guys between 40 and 60+, while the 996s are driven by gals, with very big third finger rings, on their way to the gym or tennis. During our last trip to the coast every 996 but one that we saw was driven by, you guessed it, a chick. Soft clutches, Tiptronics, and flash - man, I guess that's what it's all about. 993s, on the other hand, are almost always driven by guys, we don't see many 964s, and at least 9 out of 10 '89 and earlier cars are driven by guys. I have yet to see a female driving a Twin Turbo, even on my trips down to L.A.
Pete
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
I have yet to see a female driving a Twin Turbo, even on my trips down to L.A.
Pete
Here in littl' ol' Wisconsin, it's mainly men driving Porsches. Very few women drivers (even with Boxsters). However, near my work, I routinely saw a very, very well dressed woman (probably 60 years old) driving a new 996 Twin Turbo when those came out. I bet that car never saw rev's over 3000... It would be putzing around town at 25 mph...
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
at least 9 out of 10 '89 and earlier cars are driven by guys
When I was seriously looking 3 yrs ago, I saw a blond driving a mid-80s red Cab top down on I-75 in Sarasota. I was in a rental POS on business. It looked so cool. That was when I decided I had to own a Cab.

Ian
Old 08-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Super_Dave_D
Men call them 986 because they know Boxsters are chick cars. Next time you see a Boxster on the road start making metal notes of who's driving them. Chicks! 85% Dont get me wrong - I like them but again - it is what it is and its been that way since day one.
You're an idiot.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now we have resorted to name calling well I wont lower myself to such ignorance. As I have said in every post on this subject "I like them and would like to have one but..." Several others have said the same thing so I guess they are idiots as well?? Sorry if I have my own opinion and hurt your feelings causing you to resort to name calling- its all my fault.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Super_Dave_D
So now we have resorted to name calling well I wont lower myself to such ignorance. As I have said in every post on this subject "I like them and would like to have one but..." Several others have said the same thing so I guess they are idiots as well?? Sorry if I have my own opinion and hurt your feelings causing you to resort to name calling- its all my fault.
But saying that 85% of Boxsters are driven by women is hardly expressing an opinion. It's simply a false statement. I do watch the Boxsters go by and see far fewer women driving than men. It's unfortunate your opinion will prevent you from owning one of the most exhilarating drives Porsche ever produced. But, as Pete Z. said, so many Porsches so little time. There are others to fill the void.

The "chick car" opinion is just so strange... and being afflicted so strongly seems incomprehensible. Maybe I shouldn't tell you I'm thinking about buying a white VW cabrio with white interior and white top.

Brett
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
joey c
Pro

this is funny,cause at the dealer the other day,3 boxsters pulled up to service and they were all female drivers.remember the sopranos line"a boxster is a porsche with panties"well something like that.i had both, a base and an s..i must admit that i felt funny passing mostly women in the same car.the s was better.i think they are great cars regardless of who drives them,and as i posted yesterday,the new 986 is really a great car..j
Old 08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Let's all grab our crotch with one hand and with the other click on over to the Boxster Forum!

Lighten up guys.. and yes a white VW Cab is a chick's car, but consider a pink interior - it would contrast the white top and exterior better..
Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
bobbigham
Pro

The Boxster is more practical than you think, A/C would work well, it is a great cabriolet, top opens and closes quick, no boot to mess with, and it has 2 trunks.

Plenty of accessories around for small projects on the Box as well.

Great to drive. My first Porsche was a Boxster, which led to a 996, then a 356 replica (3 different ones) now have a 993 and the wife wants a Porsche too....it never ends.

The Boxster was affordable, not bad on insurance, everything worked well, etc..... wow I think I'll have to talk my wife into a Boxster when she tires of the Z4...then I can drive it too, we can call it hers, but it is another adddition to the Porsche stable.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

My take on the Boxster "chick car" thing is that those who have a problem with it may be a bit insecure with the level of their masculinity.

My biggest issue with Boxsters is the number of non-enthusiasts that own them, not their gender. That calls for extreme care when looking at a used one.

I enjoyed my '97 2.5 Boxster as much as any of the 20 Porsches I've owned since 1972. It was a heck of a lot more Porsche-like than the 996 Lexus clone that I replaced it with and got rid of 3 months later. Very fast, but zero soul.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
My biggest issue with Boxsters is the number of non-enthusiasts that own them, not their gender.
The good flip side to this is that with these sales, Porsche stays in business and that helps me get parts for my older 911's...!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackb911
My biggest issue with Boxsters is the number of non-enthusiasts that own them, not their gender.
This has always been a fact with Porsches & all of the other high end lines. A status buyer rather than an enthusiast. But it gave us a chance to buy second - third - fourth - hand cars.

Ian
Old 08-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

PL not sure where you live or if this is an issue for you, but for me living in Nashville the heat is Unbearable sometimes (during July – September) and the AC on these cars range for just enough to keep me from sweating to just plan sucking. If I am in stop and go traffic I need to shut off the AC in fear of heating up the engine to much. I have spoken with others that this is their same fear. Anytime the gauge gets above 10 o’clock range I have to shut off the AC to keep it from going any higher. I have never experimented to see what would happen if I left if on. But that may be something to think about. But when I am moving I have the AC on all day long.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Good post ron .. kind of got us off the "chickster" topic .. doh I did it again ....
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Minson
PL not sure where you live or if this is an issue for you, but for me living in Nashville the heat is Unbearable sometimes (during July – September) and the AC on these cars range for just enough to keep me from sweating to just plan sucking. If I am in stop and go traffic I need to shut off the AC in fear of heating up the engine to much. I have spoken with others that this is their same fear. Anytime the gauge gets above 10 o’clock range I have to shut off the AC to keep it from going any higher. I have never experimented to see what would happen if I left if on. But that may be something to think about. But when I am moving I have the AC on all day long.
good info. thank you.
this is what i want to know from the owners.
today is 103F, and it make sense to have a good AC in the summer month.

Quick Reply: 25K, tell me what to do.