Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Warning seat belt light related to alternator ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 05:50 PM
TC_SJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Warning seat belt light related to alternator ?

Hello All

I was dring my 87 car last night and notice that once a while my warning seat belt light came on.

every time the seat belt light is on, I also see the head light got brighter.

I rememeber some one did mention that the alternator (made from French) of this 1987 year has a bad block of diode and cause a quick surge to the Voltage regulator.

Have any one in this group has the same problem on their car ?, what block of diode need to be replace

Thanks
Tan
Old 02-27-2002, 06:02 PM
Jgordon
Racer

Yes, the seatbelt light is related. Especially the headlights getting brighter. I have no idea what block it might be related to. I got this info from my wrench, who just finished rebuilding my alternator and installing a regulator. Wish I could offer you more detailed answers. If I could, I'd be rebuilding my own, as opposed to cutting a check.

Good luck with it though.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:03 PM
TC_SJ
Instructor

Thanks for the info, can you tell me what is the cost to do this, do you have to rebuilt the alternator and replace the Voltage regulator.

Thanks
Tan
Old 02-28-2002, 09:53 AM
Jgordon
Racer

I paid roughly 275 for the rebuild, and 65 for the regulator. I also live in manhattan, with no place to remove the fan housing, so I got to pay my wrench to take that out as well.

Anyone live in manhattan and do their own work? I have some space out in long Island where I do some work, but I'm still trying to find someplace here. I installed my rear speakers outside of my apartment building, and almost got a ticket for not being in a metered spot. "Honestly officer, I'm figuring out an electrical short."

Quick Reply: Warning seat belt light related to alternator ?