Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 11:55 PM
Judi
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Headlights

Question on headlights...

If you can buy just the lense for an H5 is is possible to take them apart to clean? I have been researching headlight options and was given a method to clean the cloudiness of my lenses by inserting a swab through the back of the assembly. Then I saw the lense available from Pelican and I wondered if you just couldn't remove the lense by itself to clean. Any experience out there?
Old 02-28-2002, 08:16 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Judi, Porsche 911 headlamps are "of-a-piece", it is simply a housing that combines the glass lens with the reflector. the halogen bulb is inserted in the back. I went through this drill when I got my cloudy-lensed '87 Carrera. a) remove old bulb, b) clean out inside of lens surface (the "giant Q-tip" method using a mild detergent finished off w/ alcohol clean & dry), c) install new bulb (of your choice among numerous options), taking care not to leave fingerprints or oil on the bulb surface, d) reassemble, e) see better at night.
have fun - a nice little project.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:15 AM
Jgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, please refresh me. H4's have the pebbled surface on top of the lens, and H5's have the lines? I have lines, I'm wondering if I should be on teh lookout for cloudiness, or if I should just give them a cleaning anyway as a precaution.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:26 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't recall the distinction of the H4 / H5 lens surfaces... If they are over 5-7 years old, there is probably some cloudiness. clean off the lens real well, drive to a dealer, compare the appearance to a new 996. you will recognize internal cloudiness (distinguish from the abrasion that occurs on the outside surface) by comparison. It cleans off real easily, the hassle is careful dismantling, making the swab (I used wood dowel, cloth wrapped around the end & afixed w/ duct tape), getting access to the complete interior surface, and reassembly.

While you are at it, a) act like a buyer & test drive new 996, b) blow kids college fund.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:15 PM
John Brandt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put them in the dishwasher, (just kidding)

I've taken my h1sapart and cleaned them,withouta problem, should be the same.

now, if I could just find the rubber gaskets!!

Quick Reply: Headlights