I am SO ticked right now!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 02:44 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am SO ticked right now!

I can't believe it happened, but yesterday I was putting the bonnet on the drop-top, and the driver's high corner TORE on me. I didn't see anything sharp in there, and I really wasn't pulling down on it. I don't know if these things dry out over time or what. Anyone else have this happen, or am I just King Kong when it comes to handling things?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eventually they do rot. Question though, had your top been left the down position for a long while? I've heard people say the top kind of shrinks when left down too long because the up position stetched the top a bit.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top was down for about a week, I'd been keeping the boot cover off (not sure of the proper term here, I see "bonnet" & "boot" referring to the cover that goes over the top when the top is down; of course if you're a Brit, a boot's a trunk...).

Anyway, here's the pic..
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

A week should not be long enough to cause issues with an otherwise healthy top. When I bought my cab the top had been down for over a year the seller said. I was careful to put it up slowly and wet it down real well before allowing it to latch down in the front.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine tore there too - driver's side...
Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up for the rest oof us cab guys - one of the reasons this may happen is because the top is not sitting all the way down -one of the reasons THAT may happen is because the bar that holds the folds in place is one above where it should be - it has slight elastic straps to put it in the right place, but if you're like me, you've already stretched them by accident and it now doesn't fold down the way it should -(i guess the above is just for manual top guys, come to think of it). Anyway, I now have to place it in the right place by hand - but the boot then fits over easier...
anyway, someplace in the archives is a foto (and a better description ) of what I'm referring to
Old 07-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Never mind me, I thought you were talking about a tear in the top itself. I would guess the tonneau cover would rot over time and becomne brittle. Mine never did but I sold my car a few months ago and it only had 43k miles on it, so it was not exposed to the sun nearly as long as some others could be.

Quick Reply: I am SO ticked right now!