Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 starter spinning, not engaging.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006 | 11:47 AM
Dtrain475
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 starter spinning, not engaging.

Just bought this 87, while cranking there is some grinding like the starter needs to be shimmed or aligned. After 3 days, it won't start. I got it to engage once the other day and was hoping it was a fluke. I had to bump start it to get home last night, not the starter motor spins but does not engage the flywheel.

I've read some other thread about lubing and or dust cleaning the shaft, any recommendations? This car comes from a corrosive environment, so I'm not looking forward to that bolt on top of the starter that I keep reading about.

Thanks-
Old 07-02-2006 | 11:58 AM
sschmerg
Racer

I had this problem with my '88. It turns out there was a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue (2/17/89). The fix was a wider ring gear on the fly wheel that would better engage the starter. You will have to replace the starter and -- and here's the potentially expensive part -- if the ring gear is damaged that must be replaced as well. To do this you'd have to drop the motor to get it off of the fly wheel and replace it. Replacing only the starter worked for me, for the most part. Every once in a long while I still have the problem. I have found I can avoid it 98% of the time if I put the car in gear when I park it so that 1st is "engaged", and then apply the hand brake if needed. Of course, push in the clutch pedal before you start it!
Old 07-02-2006 | 01:05 PM
Dtrain475
6th Gear

Thanks for the response, is the high torque starter the way to go if I'm under there anyway?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2006 | 06:41 PM
sschmerg
Racer

I think the OEM starter is more than adequate...especially if you are not replacing the ring gear.
Old 07-03-2006 | 02:23 AM
Dtrain475
6th Gear

Well after all the internet research and purchasing a few trick tools, I can't seem to get that top bolt off the starter. I have the tranny bolts loose for some extra room, but I have no idea how anyone gets any leverage with any kind of tool up there? I worked on it all day, just can't get any grip on it even with the G50 hug from underneath.

I must be missing something, from what I can tell you'd have to drop the motor as well to get at that thing.

Thanks for the responses-
Old 07-03-2006 | 11:21 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

I had a heck of a time with that bolt...and the my engine was already dropped. There's not much clearance with a socket wrench....I had to use a hex bit and a box wrench to get it off...hang in there...
Old 07-04-2006 | 01:50 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

lie partly on your L side and reach around the whole assembly - trans. and all and up and over it

by feel, locate the nut & check to be sure it is cleaned out before inserting the Allen bit ALL the way in; be sure it is square in the drive

then use whatever ext. you need to get out to where you cn swing your ratche wrench - flex-head might help

never done an '87 but that works on the older ones

search on Pelican for more info on this - I know some threads have the word yoga in them
Old 07-04-2006 | 12:47 PM
Dtrain475
6th Gear

Thanks guys, I tried both those techniques yesterday. I put it back together, and it's going to the shop. They want $150 for labor to do it around here, I wasted waaay more then $150 or my time.

Bummed though, I haven't taken any vehicle to a shop in forever.... oh well-

Quick Reply: 911 starter spinning, not engaging.