Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Want to reconnect battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:59 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to reconnect battery

I just disconnected the battery on my 88 coupe by removing the ground and when I try to reconnect it the alarm goes off! How do I disable the alarm to reconnect the battery? I tried to find the answer in the shop manual I bought but it says to insert the key in the door and turn 90 degrees. My car does not have a key in that location. Help is greatly appreciated!

Dan.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the key for your alarm in the rear of the door...when you open it? My 88 Carera has a key lock in the rear of the door behind the outer door handle. It is hidden when you shut the door. I set it by opening the door, turning the key 90 degrees and shutting the door. To disarm it, I open the door very slowly until I can get the key in the lock and turn it back 90 degrees to disarm it. If you open the door too far it will trigger the alarm, but all you have to do is put the key in and turn it 90 degrees.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Dan, where is your key located?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Chris57
Intermediate

Is this a factory or aftermarket alarm? I dont remember factory alarm going off after reconnecting battery but it has been a while.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:33 PM
MDL
Racer

Spider, My service manual describes exactly what you have on your car. My car does not have the key in the hole in the rear of the door. It has a black cover which looks like it came from the factory that way. I tried the button on the key but that didn't do anything.

Dan.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris57
Is this a factory or aftermarket alarm? I dont remember factory alarm going off after reconnecting battery but it has been a while.
Chris,

That's a good question. I just bought the car last week and it's my first Porsche. I did get a key chain with a little black box that says Python, but pushing the buttons did nothing either.

Dan.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,126 Likes on 806 Posts

it's an aftermarket, the butons may need reprograming.. google is your best friend..
Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
it's an aftermarket, the butons may need reprogramming.. Google is your best friend..
I did the Google search and found a place near Orlando that might be able to help. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I sure want to get this straightened out fast...

Dan.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This happens with most aftermarket alarms (never with factory units), and sometimes you can fool the alarm by rapidly touching the ground strap to its terminal, and then removing it. If that doesn't work replace the battery in the clicker. If all else fails locate the alarm brain, it will be shoved into the area above the glove box (accessed from inside the trunk) or it might be to the rear outboard of the brake booster. Hold it with one hand and pull the quick disconnect wire bundle loose from it, that should take care of your problem.
Pete
Old 06-29-2006, 04:42 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

The aftermarket alarm I had in my 911 had a very small key you could put in the siren and disable the system when you were disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. NOt sure where they would have put the siren with the install you have, but mine was in the left, front 'pocket" in front of the tire.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Patrick: FYI, most aftermarket alarm horns/sirens are placed in space available near the steering rack & fuel pump. The thought behind that is if the bad guy can't get to it to cut the wires it makes towing the car or stealing the radio a bit of a dicey situation. Also, regarding access, Targas and Cabs have a locking trunk release, which makes getting at the alarm "brain" much more difficult. I've installed a number of the locking T-handles in coupes - in L.A. you can't be too careful!
Pete
Old 06-29-2006, 07:30 PM
MDL
Racer

Thanks for all the feedback. Turns out you were all right. It is aftermarket, I did a Google search and found tech help. For $10.00 they will e-mail instructions on how the system works. Don't know if I'll need it or not. It seems fairly straight forward now. I replaced the battery in the key chain and that stopped the alarm from sounding, but did not disarm the system. I found the speaker and traced the wires back to a hidden switch which did disarm the system.

There are 2 small keys on the key chain that don't fit anything. I wonder if they also disarm the system as Patrick suggested. I'll have to keep looking. Did any of these cars come without factory alarms?

Dan.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:52 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

My 88 Carrera did.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by MDL
For $10.00 they will e-mail instructions on how the system works.
Dan.
Gee, isn't that special.. Please post the brand of alarm and the name of this magnanimous gentleman dealer!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,126 Likes on 806 Posts

Do you have wheel locks ? that might explain the small keys..

Quick Reply: Want to reconnect battery