Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Please comment on this '80 SC coupe for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:19 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please comment on this '80 SC coupe for sale

vin is 91A0141467 --- seller asking 14k (any comments on price?)

- Seller has owned for almost eleven years , 103,000 miles on the OD, used as autocross car
- transmission rebuilt 7 years ago because 2nd gear Synchro was bad, replaced the clutch cable and entire clutch kit when it was apart
- motor is mainly stock except for the larger throttle body, sport muffle, and extra oil cooler, installed tensioner keeper in the event that the cam tensioners collapse
- replaced the struts in the front with Bilstein Turbo Struts and Koni adjustables in the rear, also lowerd
- interior is in decent shape (black leather) and sun roof that works good
- Factory Turbo tail
- also extras like porsche crest door handles in the interior, and cover that covers the underside of the dash, and nice momo steering wheel

i saw and drove the car...looked pretty good for a 26 yr old car, not a garage queen but pretty clean...just needed some TLC, paint may have been a bit faded, but i am not a expert...inside smelled a bit musty, also sunvisors were puffy? rest of the interior good

steering rack was shot, car drifted w/in couple degrees...motor seemed to pull strong...a/c worked as well as can be expected, but def kept car cool(er)...ride was a little harsh, little noisy (dunno if i just dont know a stiff suspension well enuf to comment ??), braked good, and shifted good...car was a bit rough but seemed to need some TLC, seller probably hasnt driven in a couple yrs...

2 things seemed odd...the whale tail and the carrera script...

talking to seller about a bottom line price before i invest in a PPI...

any thoughts, comments or opinions ?

BTW- i am looking for a DE and part time driver

thanks again
bill

will try to post a couple pics in a few mins...wish me luck doing that
Old 06-19-2006, 11:47 PM
boze_man
Pro

Default pic1

pic1
Old 06-19-2006, 11:48 PM
boze_man
Pro

Default pic2

pic2
Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 AM
boze_man
Pro

other thing that seemed odd...............the phone number on the window, too funny
Old 06-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill: My initial thoughts...
1. Bilstein front - Koni rear = ridiculous if not downright stupid!
2. Car is too low in the rear (at least from the pics).
3. Pic from rear quarter shows something hanging from the inside mirror - NO serious driver/owner that does even casual competitive driving hangs crap from his mirror!
4. No chin spoiler - bad, bad, bad! Especially with the extra-large tail...
5. Wipers park on the wrong side - find out what was done.
6. Steering rack shot? Probably not, but the car might have alignment issues, bad tie rods, a bent strut or any number of problems. Rack failures in 911s are super rare...
7. Harsh ride? Bilsteins front/Konis rear - what else has been done? Trick bushings? Oversized torsion bars? Aftermarket sway bars? Lot's of questions in this category!
8. Tensioner mod = cheap way to "protect" the engine when a conversion to Carrera Tensioners should have been done.
10. The interior goodies that you mention are cheap, easy to do, but elicit an emotional response. Emotion is your enemy while buying a car!!

Post more pics if possible...
Pete
Old 06-20-2006, 12:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Pete

The wipers on the wrong side is the wiper reversal mod that the other guy was trying to do when his Oxygen sensor and Gen light came on. It is a machanical reversal that rests the wipers on the passenger side allowing for more visibility for the driver, especially for those of us who are vertically challenged ..
Old 06-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

Peter just about nailed it except for one thing - that smell - its a good thing!!! Go out in the garge after she's been sitting there all night - man that smells good. I know i'm sick!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price sounds a bit too high to me. Check out this http://www.pelicanbbs.com/showthread...hreadid=282314 for a lot of data points on SC prices.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 PM
boze_man
Pro

thanks for the feedback guys...

thought the same bout the tensioner mod...

i will have to do more digging about the steering....as you drove down road the wheel had a lot of free play (u would turn to right a couple degrees till it engaged)...make sense? seller thought a steering rack was 500 used..plus labor...dunno

also think he did the suspension that way becuz the other half of the matching set was very small diameter??? dunno

seller did a lot of the work to the car himself...had a p-car mech help do the tranny...seller used to ax the car and said he was #1 for a couple yrs

yes ...windshield wipers were reversed so driver could see...funny bout the beads hanging down from the mirror

he is keen to sell but dont think he will go below 10k...

yeah but a musty semll? musty smell seemed odd, but am i missing something? didnt see any signs of leaks aside from sun visors beeing puffy (maybe sunroof leak??)

anyone seen anything worth purchasing lately (for a reasonable price??)

thanks
bill
Old 06-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boze_man
i will have to do more digging about the steering....as you drove down road the wheel had a lot of free play (u would turn to right a couple degrees till it engaged)...make sense? seller thought a steering rack was 500 used..plus labor...dunno
That's downright scary. I drove one 911 like that years ago. That car was an absolute basket case that had been hit hard... You really need to investigate the full reason for this.

seller used to ax the car and said he was #1 for a couple yrs
That only counts if he can show you actual trophies or results with his name in the #1 positions for a certain class of Autocross.

yeah but a musty semll? musty smell seemed odd, but am i missing something? didnt see any signs of leaks aside from sun visors beeing puffy (maybe sunroof leak??)
Musty smell is not normal in a 911. They should smell 'mechanical' and have an oil type smell to them. Musty may mean leaks somewhere that have gotten into the carpets and / or insulation. You really need to investigate that issue as well. Wet carpets/insulation typically equal excessive rust.

Good luck!

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 06-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

bill: That "musty" smell demands that your PPI tech look extra close for water damage - under the seats, pedal area, etc. We're seeing your town on Fox News much too often these days - hope you and your family are doing OK!

Being #1 means nothing. Many local clubs have small turn outs for autox events, many times with only one car in a given class. It's pretty hard to not be "#1" if you're running against yourself! Looking at the pics that car is not set up to be a class winner in a large event with many class entries...
Pete
Old 06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

You might (or not) be shocked at the price of replacement sunvisors.. $140.95 ea. from Automotion.com/Performance Products..and when you break that brittle plastic visor pivot clip, $129.95 EACH!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:33 AM
boze_man
Pro

thanks for the feedback...u guys are awesome...can u tell i had a couple beers tonite?

seller has only come down to 13k so far...will do some more diggin for now...

cheers
bill

anyone know of anything 'good' for sale?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
boze_man
Pro

the seller said the "rack and pinion unit" needs to be replaced...can buy a used on for $400...

considering what u guys see hear...what would be a general value for this car?

assuming there is no water damage, updating the suspension to match, fixing the steering, and say another $2500 on top for misc...what should i offer...pending a ppi of course
Old 06-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If this car hasn't been hit (or hit hard) and has no significant rust, I'd label it as an average 911 and maybe place it's value at $11,000 or $12,000. Your geographical location may come into play (supply and demand) and that range could fluctuate. Could be a $9-$10k car in some areas where there are a lot of cars to choose from. Not sure I'd pay much more than maybe $12k for a car like this which has some decent repairs looming and the mismatched shocks, etc. etc.

Quick Reply: Please comment on this '80 SC coupe for sale