Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

71 911E RS-look for sale...any thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006 | 02:40 PM
boze_man
Pro

Default 71 911E RS-look for sale...any thoughts??

hello all...back again looking at the ealry p-cars...this one a recent listing in the classifieds...

http://www.rallystuff.com/pcar.html

any thoughts on this car? anyone know or seen this car? opinions?
any thoughts on a fair price?

as i said in my earlier posts i am looking for a sometimes driver and sometimes DE car (this would be my first p-car)

how crazy am i for considering these earlier cars?? feedback has been to stay away from MFI (especially me being a newbie, thanks pete z)...but this one is carbed...

of course i would get a PPI and would do a bit more research before purchasing but again i dont know if i am being realistic...

thanks again for all the help
bill
Old 06-08-2006 | 03:11 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

The price seems a little on the high side.

I'd be very concerned about rust -- without a body guy going through it you could get into a lot of trouble. I'd also want to confirm that there were no snapped head studs in that motor.
Old 06-08-2006 | 04:18 PM
tahoe_snow
Intermediate

Those patches in the rear seats remind of the stuff we used to see all the time when I was growing up back east. That reminds me why I would never buy a car from the northeast again. Although I have to say I am a fan of the RS look, even though it isn't stock.

I'm having not so fond memories of ripping the interior out of my Volvo to replace floor boards that had rotten and fallen out along the way. Oh the bad old days.
Old 06-08-2006 | 04:41 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also love the early cars. This car has a SC motor with the stock CIS in place. The biggest potential expense is in the motor and body so you have to get the car thoroughly checked out before any purchase and then budget an extra couple of grand for fixing things that break or were missed ver the next two years.
Old 06-08-2006 | 10:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boze_man
how crazy am i for considering these earlier cars?? feedback has been to stay away from MFI (especially me being a newbie, thanks pete z)...but this one is carbed...
I'd have to disagree with this advice. I absolutely love MFI. Fantastic performance, throttle response, and sound (and work with radical cams and high revving motors - unlike CIS). Sure, you need to have a system that is in good condition and well-tuned, but they have so much character (the character that is found in a real RS).
Old 06-09-2006 | 02:00 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it's a sweet car. Tough to copy at that price. (Trust me, I've been doing a lot of research on this!) The only discouraging thing I see is the "10 footer" description...I would want excellent paint at that price. (..not necessarily perfect, but excellent..).

Isn't that "RallyJon" from the Pelican board's car?
Old 06-09-2006 | 02:07 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the sake of comparison, this one appears to have sold at $18k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 06-09-2006 | 04:29 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got news for ya. This car is not "carbed". There are now carburaters. It looks like a 3 liter 911 SC engine which id fule injected. Nothing wrong with these engines, in fact they were great. Just wanted to let you know, that it does not have carbs.

Steve
Old 06-09-2006 | 04:33 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, stock CIS 3.0 from an SC.
Old 06-09-2006 | 04:40 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

""GOD MY TYPING AND SPELLING SUCKSSSSS"
Old 06-10-2006 | 01:57 PM
boze_man
Pro

wow... the one that went for 18k on ebay looks really sweet cosmetically...though something looks odd about the ride height or stance of the car??

will do some more research on the yellow one...

also been considering rick lee's '83 SC DE car...listed in the race car section of the classifieds

will keep plugging away
thanks
bill
Old 06-15-2006 | 10:55 AM
berettafan
AutoX

i went and saw the car. didn't drive it but went for a quick ride. there are a few rust bubbles and the body wasn't 100% but i wouldn't call the paint bad by any stretch. the later sport seats are extremely comfortable and although they are not period correct i think i'd keep 'em if it were my car.

the car needed a few moments to warm up and get to a happy idle which after reading up on this i'm guessing might be a simple adjustment; not enough to scare me off that's for sure.

there was a bit of a whine coming from the back somewhere but i haven't been in other CIS cars to compare this.

car turns on a dime and is very fast. i didn't hear any creaks or rattles and i think, given the guys rally background, that the car is set up to drive. Leda struts, etc.

erik
Old 06-15-2006 | 05:02 PM
boze_man
Pro

erik

thanks for the feedback...have you been looking specifically for something like that or just for a good p car in general? i have looked at 73rs clones to 993's, i just dont have enuf experience to know these older cars but they sure look great...

cheers
bill
Old 06-15-2006 | 05:21 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

CIS would be a neg. for me unless maybe it is in Calif. and is thus required. Even so I'd rather have a DME 3.2L transplant or a 3.6...

If you add up the cost of all the parts that YOU want on the car and add that to the value of the shell, what do you get... That would be my approach. I would also give the car points if the owner was a known good person...
Old 06-15-2006 | 08:44 PM
Naitove
Instructor

Originally Posted by berettafan
there was a bit of a whine coming from the back somewhere but i haven't been in other CIS cars to compare this.

erik
Ever since I updated to Carrera tensioners there has been a bit of a "whine" in my 81 SC.

Quick Reply: 71 911E RS-look for sale...any thoughts??