Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Upholstery supplier

Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
tahoe_snow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upholstery supplier

I'm looking for material to upholster my door panels. I called worlduph.com and matching leather would be $98/door. This seems fairly reasonable. Has anybody done business with them?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's a good deal for leather! Keep us updated. I might do this too (when I get everything else done on the car)
Old 06-08-2006, 04:02 PM
tahoe_snow
Intermediate

Keep in mind this is just the material. The entire panels, already upholstered were $500+. Having done some furniture upholstery, I can imagine it would too difficult to cut the accesory holes and staple it into place.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:02 PM
tahoe_snow
Intermediate

That should say "can't imagine"
Old 06-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asume that is just the leather skin. It is not pleated so would go on the door panel as a flat piece. Without the pleats it will look like a basic RS Door panel. it would not be hard to do but cutting the holes involves cutting a smaller hole and then making tabs to glue around the back. if you just cut the holes to size the leather will gap at the cut outs. You would use glue not staples to attach the leather.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 AM
craiglwakefield
Advanced

I purchased a complete upholstery kit from World Up. for my 914, it wasn't leather but was high quality and fit like a glove. I would phone them and ask about whether the leather could be purchased with the appropriate pleating.
Craig
Old 06-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I've done quite a bit of automotive upholstery, both stock and custom.
What you are trying to do is actually almost as easy as you would suspect.

I've recently done the following interior projects that all worked out great:
Front seat covers from World Upholstery for my 74 911
Made and covered custom panels in my 66 Chevelle
Dash and headliner replacement in my 84 Carrera

My only words of caution would be:
1- Don't rush
2- Buy the right stuff instead of trying to recreate the wheel
3- Don't rush
4- Read the directions on your glue (twice!)
5- Don't rush

I'm considering RS panels now, but I want cork leather instead of black. I found a set of cork leather door handles and pocket covers that would help upgrade the black ones that I have now. I'm also therefore considering custom panels because of the work needed to do cork RS panels isn't all that much less than doing something that I really like.
Seems like a small upgrade to convert the black vinyl handles/covers to cork leather though, so.... perhaps I will just leave them alone.
+++
Old 06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,003 Likes on 711 Posts

Dan

I think you and i have the same interior ( Cork ) . Do you have cork seats ? Mine have small tears.. not to get into the "leatherette" discusion again but my seat bolsters are very thin Vinyl and have torn away from the 'perforated" area right at the threads. Did you recover your entire seat or can this be repaired. ?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I had cork interior in my 74, but it was 100% vinyl. I replaced the entire covers as 2 pieces for each seat. The kit was a direct match for the original stuff, and it fit like a glove.
IIRC, the vinyl kit was around $350 or so, maybe less. I'd try the leather if I was going to do it again, but I would probably spend the $ and have them installed by a pro. I hate the thought of how much time it would take me to do a 'good enough' job.
+++
Old 06-09-2006, 11:16 AM
AaronR968
Racer

We have done a lot of business with them. Always nice to work with and great products!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Guys , I will earmark this one for when I have the funds.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
I had cork interior in my 74, but it was 100% vinyl. I replaced the entire covers as 2 pieces for each seat. The kit was a direct match for the original stuff, and it fit like a glove.
IIRC, the vinyl kit was around $350 or so, maybe less. I'd try the leather if I was going to do it again, but I would probably spend the $ and have them installed by a pro. I hate the thought of how much time it would take me to do a 'good enough' job.
+++
Where did you get a cork kit? Most suppliers say it's no longer available.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I should add that I just got a brochure of samples from www.spinneybeck.com. Their VP 532 that they call "Tan" looks pretty close. But, I have not put them side by side yet. Also, they have a VP 533 which they call Fawn that is darker and looks like what I've seen others call cork. The cork I have is in my '73 to the right here. About 18 years ago, I replaced the headrest covers by calling Autos International and just ordering their cork headrest covers. They came and matched perfectly. So, mine is at least what Autos International had for cork 18 years ago. In my last call to Autos International (a few years ago now), they said cork was NLA.

Here's a picture of my interior:

Old 06-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Ice,

I just replaced my two front seat covers (in cork leather from Auto's Intl) and still have the original factory all leather covers. The driver side shows a little wear and the piping is a little worn. The passenger side is still in great shape. I should have just re-dyed them both and that would have saved me a bunch, but I didn't. The cork color leather dye from World is fantastic as I have done a number of my interior pieces with it and it all looks great. And now I have the new seats to match.

The old seat covers are for non-sport seats. $ 250 bucks for both and they are yours.

This would be a very nice upgrade of your interior.

Steve
Old 06-09-2006, 01:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hi Steve I will PM you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upholstery supplier