Brake Fluid Disposal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 03:02 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Fluid Disposal

Hello everyone,

What is the PC method of disposing old brake fluid. Can I dump it in to the oil disposal bin? I know brake fluid is hygroscopic, so is it harmless to flush down the sink? I live right next to Lake Washington, so I don't want to do anything to pollute.

While we're at it, is there an environmentally safe engine degreaser? If I degrease later this summer when the engine is out, anything on the driveway will end up in the lake.

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2006, 05:12 AM
dvkk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the brake juice can be disposed with antifreeze. (that's the unnecessary fluid most other cars cool their engines with)

I like to clean my engine before I remove it. I go down to the coin operated power wash and do it there. The water runoff from that goes into the city's sewer system. You can also ask the owner of your local car wash place what treatment they have to do before the water goes into the city's sewer.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:22 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

Most dumps have a hazardous waste disposal day a few times a year, if not I would discard with oil , it will be taken care of then.
Simple green is suppose to be enviroment friendly.. don't know how good it is though ..
Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM
arcsine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take brake fluid to a local HazMat disposal station. It is not compatible with oil and should not be placed into the recyling bins at Shucks. I know there is a station off Aurora and must be one on the eastside. No charge for dropoff.

http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/hous...=907&catID=974

dvkk is mostly correct but coin operated car washes in Washington treat the water before release or treat and recycle the water. It is not emptied directly into the sewer system. The states position is that powerwashing of an engine is prohibited at car washes.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Ask the city/county or disposal co. what to do with it. You can usually take it to a retail parts store (that sells it) for disposal or a garage - at least in Oregon.

Remember, the toxic fluids an engine gunk you put into a storm drain will appear in the salmon that your kids eat.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:00 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost my patience and unloaded the whole 2 liter bottle out back. It was easy:

Ok, ok, just kidding. I appreciate all the advice. Arcsine, thanks for the link. It looks like the best place for me is at the Factoria drop off. That is right down the street from me.

In case you are interested, I am so into this car mechanic stuff now that I diagnosed a failed master cylinder on my JEEP and will bench bleed it, install it, and rebleed the system with new fluid. Talk about a lot of money saved! I got these awesome master cylinder bleeder hoses from Napa yesterday.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
cmoss

Jim, a real man always drinks his old brake fluid.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Simple green is suppose to be enviroment friendly.. don't know how good it is though ..
I tried it and it is weak - I just use the non-PC "Gunk"

Marc

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Disposal