Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How many seals for throw out arm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many seals for throw out arm?

I've looked in the Bentley Manual and Haynes and I can't seem to get a correct answer. Pelican says you need three of them, but I only see one seal listed on all of the diagrams. Here is a pic of my current setup, do I need another seal?
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

slot: We always put one at the place in your picture, another one at the bottom of the fork, and one under the car before you put the omega spring arm on (in other words it's the first piece to go on the shaft outside the bell housing). Order quantity 3...
Pete
Old 06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

Thanks Pete!....Looks like I'll need a punch to drive out the pin holding the throw-out fork...then remove and replace seal.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's best that you remove the shaft anyway. It will probably have a serious build up of crud on it. When you put it back together put a light coat of lithium grease, or high quality amber disc brake grease, on the entire shaft. Before you put it back together use a round brush and aerosol cleaner to clean inside where the shaft lives. When you re-install the pin make sure its opening faces away from the solid surface of the shaft, in other words, the split in the pin should face the same direction as the fork arms. You know, I just had a thought. We used to replace the fork on clutch jobs where the car was going to get clutch number two, or if the car had close to 100K miles. We also used to replace the T.O. bearing guide tube, once in a while, depending on how bad the wear mark in it was. Something to think about. Also, you may not have noticed it, but the fork shaft has a bushing at its top - we used to replace that on every clutch job.
Pete
Old 06-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Slotcar
Advanced

Roll pin is out, and so is the fork...time to degrease everything. The fork is in great shape. Thanks again for the advice Pete.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default The factory manual shows only one seal above the fork?

The factory manual only shows one seal above the fork and the other two seals above and below the arm. Would it make sense to use four seals then?
I know this is a picture from the haynes manual, but it is the same picture from the factory manual.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: How many seals for throw out arm?