Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oxygen sensor wire removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
spikesdad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oxygen sensor wire removal

Maybe some expert can shed some light on this question I have.
I bought a 83 SC from a dealer back in November 2005.
He smogged it and it passed.
When he gave it back to me, he mentioned that; if it idles a little rough, go ahead and pull the wire from the oxygen sensor.
I test drove it with the wire off. It did fine.
When I got it back from smog, it ran fine. it did idle SLIGHTY rougher, so I pulled the wire.
I have been running "wireless" since then.
Is there any problem with this?
Does it increase or lose horsepower?
I really don't know....
Thanks in advance for any answers...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I smell a rat! That car should never have been sold with a possible emission-related problem, by a dealer, especially in California! Take it back, tell them to fix it, or file a complaint with the BAR and any other regulatory body that you find listed in the yellow pages. It might be a simple fix, like setting the CO% (fuel mixture) & idle speed correctly, or it might be something that's going to bite you in the butt big time (read $$$!) somewhere down the road. I know that the car probably had a "Sold As Is" sticker in the window, but I don't think that they can sell a vehicle knowing that it doesn't run properly unless part of the smog system in bypassed. That said, I "assume" that you have taken the car to a couple of shops to get their opinion on whether your idle roughness is outside what's normal for the car (SCs should idle perfect with the oxy sensor hooked up).
Pete

Quick Reply: oxygen sensor wire removal