Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removing exhaust ..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 06:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts
Default Removing exhaust ..

Guess I am really scraping the bottom of the barrel for projects now... I decided to remove the hardware holding my exhaust together so when my new..er exhaust gets here ( Thanks Tony ) I can unbolt the old and bolt on the new.

Muffler was a piece of cake, but it ended there. I was able to grind off a few bolts hanging low on the cross over and bypass pipe and replace those but that was about it . Am I better off just removing the exhaust ssytem as a whole and dissassembling it on a bench ? This is the only way I can envision getting the bolts off. I would have to drop the two exchangers, crossover and test pipe as a unit. then deal with it after that. I realize the need for copious amounts of patience, heat and PB blaster on the head studs, but I just want to grind off the other hardware ..

ice
Old 05-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ice: When we did repair/rebuild work on engines fitted with your exhaust type we always took the assembly off as a unit, put it on a bench and worked from there. Good luck with the exhaust port flange hardware!
Pete
Old 05-19-2006, 07:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Pete .. seamed to make sense . I was considering hanging the replacement on the wall for now and just driving. Then over the winter soak the studs for 6 months or so .. depends on my patience I guess..
Old 05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iceman,
When I replaced my cat last week I soaked all bolts from the exhaust and to the muffler with PB Blaster for a couple of days. That worked on all bolts except 3. For those, and some will cringe, I basically put my wrench in a horizontal position on the bolt, put my floor jack under the wrench and slooowly raised the jack. Basically it's the weiight of the car against the bolt. Worked like a charm.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Sounds interesting Ulich. I got all 3 bolts from the crossover to th emuffler , and the lower "cat bolts " for me it is a cross over , where I am having a little trouble are the bolts at the top of the assemby where I can't really get in at them . But i am having fun anyway ..
Old 05-19-2006, 08:58 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ice, did you remove the left rear wheel? It is much easier and you have a lot more room with it removed. Those cat bolts will require some leverage to remove them if they've been on there for a long time.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Spider great idea..... and the car is on jack stands so why not I say !! oh by the way the bypass pipe has been on 25years and has seen snow slush and lots of salt... I can not even recognse the nut , it is just a lump of rust on the end.. not you knwo why i am grinding them off !!.

definitely gonna try taking the wheel off tonight, kinda getting bored of sitting here getting my butt kicked by a 8 year old on the PS2 ... what exactly is a Ratchet and clank anyway !? I thought he was showing me a new Porsche tool :-0
Old 05-20-2006, 03:04 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it Iceman! It is cold there now anyway. Get your new exhaust on and enjoy the power this summer. (I am looking for motivation to do mine.)
Old 05-20-2006, 10:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Actually James I am not doing an upgrade right now, Tony is selling me a complete exhaust system he had lying around after an upgrade real cheap. he saw my rusted out heat exchangers on a pic and offered his old ones to me. I will be able to at least be rust free and a little warmer.. then I will be "defrostedman" ? I figure it will be great practice and allow me to see where I am with the studs etc. later I may do an SSI upgrade ( when the money permits ) . I got sme good tips from Ulrich too but my nuts and bolts are just toast ... so I may have to burn a few off with a torch ... well see..

ice
Old 05-20-2006, 03:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

update ,.. got it accomplished thanks to some hlp.

Took the back wheel off and it wae much easier, was not bale to unscrew any but no big deal as I had no intention of reusing hardware .. in fact the whole reason was to replace the hardware. I just used my air grinder on 3 and the other 3 i used a dremmel to slice the nuts vertically then used my impact hammer with a point to get them off. Took a little while but was worth it. Took a little negotiating with the dremmel to do the upper passenger side crossover pipe bolt. I now have all new stainless hardware on the test pipe - muffler flange ( 3 ) I used 40mm M8 bolts with crimped nuts pretty well everywhere. - on the crossover to passenger exchanger (3) bypass to crossover and drivers exchanger ( 6 )

Quick Reply: Removing exhaust ..