Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do Zimmerman rotors need a break-in period?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 09:13 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Zimmerman rotors need a break-in period?

Do rotors need the 200 - 300km break in period? Instructions with the front say so with no such warning for the rears and nothing about it in the manual. They are OEM.

The fronts arrived Saturday and I just noticed the small print warning that is only in their box.

I have three days of DE at VIR starting Friday. There will be no time for 300 km of breaking them in. If needed I will wait til I get back and run with the old.

Reg
Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming that you're also installing new pads (along with the rotors)...I've always heard not to use old pads with new rotors, and it's the pads that need a break in, not rotors. The break in period varies, but you should be able to 'cure' them with minimal miles if you follow the pad instructions.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-14-2006, 10:08 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Yes new pads as well. Performance Friction tech assitance told me how to break the pads in.

Reg
Old 05-23-2006, 05:04 AM
afinepoint
Racer

They got 200+ miles before track time. All went well at the track. The Performance Friction 97 pads and standard Zimmerman rotors complimented each other quite well. No problem whatsoever stopping.

Plan to put old pads back in for street use due to dust and noise of 97's. Any concerns other than seated old pads?

Reg
Old 05-23-2006, 12:35 PM
carreraken
Advanced

Most performance pads / rotors require a 'bed-in' process which consists of repeated (8 - 10) 60 mph to 30mph 'light/medium' braking with at least 1/2 mile between each brake application. Then drive around for several miles with little or no braking to let the brakes cool. This procedure gradually increases the component temperatures without thermal shock and mates the pad and disc friction surfaces.

Never set the e-brake when the pads are hot...
Old 05-23-2006, 04:51 PM
bbh03
Instructor

You will likely need harder stops than that to heat the pads up enough. Dave Z has a good bedding procedure on his website, http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

You should not apply your ebrake while the rotors are hot. The ebrake has separate shoes that engage the inside of the rear rotor drums. The pads are not engaged as part of the ebrake.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:12 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by afinepoint
They are OEM.
Otto Zimmerman GMBH manufacture OEM compatible brake rotors but they are not an OEM supplier to Porsche. SHW Automotive has been the exclusive supplier since 1996 and the supplier records have been checked going back to the mid-eighties and Zimmerman was never seen on any of them.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:13 AM
afinepoint
Racer

Originally Posted by bbh03
The ebrake has separate shoes that engage the inside of the rear rotor drums. The pads are not engaged as part of the ebrake.
Yes I saw them when the rear rotors were pulled.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:16 AM
afinepoint
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
SHW Automotive has been the exclusive supplier since 1996
Didn't know that. I don't remember seeing then in any of my catalogs nor have any supplier I have spoken to mentioned or recommended them. I'll look again.

Reg

Quick Reply: Do Zimmerman rotors need a break-in period?