Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1984 Carrera Purchase need info ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:22 PM
dcona2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Carrera Purchase need info ASAP.

Hey folks-

New to this site and looking for some quick help. I am very close to purchasing a 1984 carrera with approx 60,000 OG miles on it, the guy seems honest and is asking $18,500. I had the PPI done this morning in San Fransico. The mechanic came back with the following issues:
Clutch is original and about to go= Approx $3000
New brake drums, but brake holders are about to go= $?
Needs new tires=$800- $1500
Shock Absorbers/ suspension is weak and need to be replaces soon= $1200
Oil tank or Resevor is been replaced and is patched= to do right approx=$800
Fog lights do not work=$?? did not look into it.

Right there we are looking at minumum of $5800-$6500?

So right there this mechanic says it is only worth about $12,000 cause this stuff is going to need to be done.

Paint is in good condition, interior is good.

Any thoughts on this price quotes? Other than that he says it is a solid/clean car.

Any thoughts on my next move? I realize no old car with be perfect.

Thanks,

drew
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM
oto60
Advanced

The PPI pretty much explains the price you should pay for the car. If everything else is solid on the car I would say 11-13k would be a fair price for the car. What about leak down and compression tests? If those are not within specs then I would even ask for more of a discount or walk away.

I personally searched for my car for about 3 months and bought my 86 coupe with 92k on it for 16500.00 I have had the car now for 5 months and drive it everyday with no problems except a valve adjustment etc as a baseline. I hope my comments help
Old 05-02-2006, 06:03 PM
oto60
Advanced

you have to also consider that low mileage does not always mean a good thing. The more these car just sit I persoanlly think more problems can arrise. I personally would buy a higher mileage car in good shape that may have even had a complete engine re-build done right.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

1. Three grand for a clutch on that car is WAY out of line, even in San Fran!
2. I don't understand your comment regarding the brakes.
3. Tires, assuming the car has its original 16" rims, will be on the low end of the range.
4. What "weak suspension" parts need to be replaced? Shocks? Bilstein or Boge?

Be aware that transactions like you're describing are rare. The seller might discount the car $1K, but he sure isn't going to pay for everything. The mechanic is a mechanic, not a salesman, and might be out of his element commenting on value. Things that matter - has the car been hit, especially in the right rear? What were the leak down test numbers? Do the service records track and support the claimed mileage? Have the brake hoses been replaced (a possible indicator of proper maintenance)? Has the 60K mile service been performed (when and where)? Where was the PPI done, a Porsche dealer? a Porsche independent? or a shop that takes in a variety of cars? You need a lot more info...
Pete
Old 05-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low mileage isn;t the problem. Sounds like a serious lack of maintenance to me. Does the seller have service records on the car? Have you gone through them?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:52 PM
dcona2
2nd Gear

Default 1984

hey there-

the service was done at AVR in SF, by an old vet names Albert. He seemed very nice. 60K has been done in sacramento? Sounds to have all the maintainece records.
Brake Rotors are worn out, my bad, pads ok.
Shock absorbers are weak, as they are OG and it is lowered.
Windshield washer does not work

Thanks to all of you for the help. I have a few more hours before I have to buy my ticket.

Drew
Old 05-02-2006, 10:28 PM
DonMo
Advanced

I bought my 84 Targa with 100k 2 years ago for $11.5, top end rebuild, Dansk sports muffler and SSI's. Interior dash and seats needed repair, paint good. I agree, $12k
Old 05-02-2006, 10:44 PM
wholberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by dcona2
Hey folks-

New to this site and looking for some quick help. I am very close to purchasing a 1984 carrera with approx 60,000 OG miles on it, the guy seems honest and is asking $18,500. I had the PPI done this morning in San Fransico. The mechanic came back with the following issues:
Clutch is original and about to go= Approx $3000 Too high. More like $1500-2400 New brake drums, but brake holders are about to go= $?
Needs new tires=$800- $1500 I just put a set of Yoko e100's on for about $600
Shock Absorbers/ suspension is weak and need to be replaces soon= $1200
Oil tank or Resevor is been replaced and is patched= to do right approx=$800 Take a look at the patch. If it is brazed well, it will probable last forever. I notice that the mech said to do it right, not that it needs replaced.Fog lights do not work=$?? did not look into it.

Right there we are looking at minumum of $5800-$6500?

So right there this mechanic says it is only worth about $12,000 cause this stuff is going to need to be done.

Paint is in good condition, interior is good.

Any thoughts on this price quotes? Other than that he says it is a solid/clean car.

Any thoughts on my next move? I realize no old car with be perfect.

Thanks,

drew
If the really big ticket items are in good condition and you really want this car, then use the PPI to negotiate the price down. Try to get $12K. You never know if it is possible until you try. I think that the prices given by your mechanic are somewhat questionable, as the only thing really wrong with the car right now is that the foglights dont work, probably an easy electrical fix, and the wipers dont work (try flipping the switch lever up and down 100 times-the contact oxidize if they are not used for a year or more).

It just depends upon how lucky you feel. $18.5K does seem like a lot for so many POTENTIAL issues, but if you really want the car, try to get the seller to split the cost off the purchase price, knowing you are going to put some money into the car over the next couple of years, but at least you will know what you have then.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dcona2

Too much wrong with the car for $18.5k.

For that price, the shocks/struts, clutch, brakes, and oil tank should all be in be in good condition.

I can see worn tires and the fog light issue in that price range... but that's about it.

I'd offer him no more than $14.5k... or keep looking.

TonyG

Quick Reply: 1984 Carrera Purchase need info ASAP.