Purchase of the Day...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase of the Day...

Got in a couple of Stainless sill plates from eBay. I REALLY need to give my wife big props for being very understanding of my disease. :-D
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Real
Instructor

Default Sweet sills

Hey Fred,

Are more of these door sills available?? If so, how much $$ Deneros? Where can you direct me?? Thanks.

Mike
Old 05-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Spodie!
Instructor

That is beautiful.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I THINK it's ok to post the guy's auction, as I'm not selling the piece, but if this violates anything, mods, please remove & I can PM / email the link to anyone interested.

Current ebay auctions from this person:
8060112185 Porsche Crest Sill
8061943214 "Carrera" Script
8061944007 "Turbo" Script

FYI, it's a PITA to remove the glue that holds the oem rubber sill in place, and once the piece is stuck down, it ISN'T MOVING. I had to lift the rubber door moulding up just a bit to let the sill piece slip under it, glad I test-fit first.

So, now all I gotta do is get some matching door lock **** / trim pieces to complete the Bling-age.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:34 AM
ThePointman
Intermediate

I have been thinking if getting these. I have the same color interior. Could you post some more pics?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:10 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
....FYI, it's a PITA to remove the glue that holds the oem rubber sill in place....
I found that 'Goo Gone' (available in most auto parts stores and even the grocery stores around here) works great in removing that glue (and the glue on engine sound pads, etc.) with no harmful effects to paint, etc.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that is the same guy that has done a number of 993 sills for guys here. He is highly regarded.

Looks nice.....now get a vacuum out.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:55 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Thanks Keith, I've used a "Goo"-titled product before on household stuff. Usually a little shop hand cleaner (gritless) works well but not so much this time.

Vacuum:
I did a really good vacuum about a month ago. Unfortunately for the cleanliness factor, mine's a driver, and I usually have the top down. I get all kinds tree-based garbage blowing in at work, and I usually don't have the time to vac but once in a while.

Pics:
Will be happy to snap more once I can get her out of the 3/4 car garage - it's supposed to rain for a couple more days last I looked, so it might be a few.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:22 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Well, last month's Purchase of the Day arrived today...

Just got in Ben's muffler!

This thing is LIGHT, feels even lighter than the Bursch. Can't wait to hear it - might even allow me to start the car before 8am for a change!
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Notes about the M&K Muffler installation:

1) The unit installs VERY easily (especially in my case, coming from a Fabspeed muffler bypass).
2) If you have a Bursch muffler you're coming from, the installation requires the stock muffler bracket, not the one the Bursch uses. The Bursch' bracket will make an interference fit on the barrel of the M&K.
3) The mounting kit Ben put together is excellent quality - bolts, top-notch clamps, new gasket, the works.
4) Upon startup, you'll notice the packing fluff will blow out of the muffler. Ben says this is normal, so don't freak like I did. Since I got the fully polished, I was worried the polishing / buffing material might have accidentally been left in there - Ben assured me otherwise.

Sound notes:
IMO, MUCH better than stock, MUCH better than the Bursch. For a muffled sound, it's excellent. That said, the tone is completely different than the Fabspeed open pipes sound. I was hoping for the tone of the bypass, with perhaps 15db quieter noise level, and this isn't what the M&K sounds like. Again, I'm NOT disappointed, just noting it's different entirely.

As for the purchase experience, Ben made a great looking, great sounding muffler, kept in good contact with me during the ordering & delivery, and the price was very fair compared to other mufflers on the market. So far, I'm completely satisfied. I'm going to see if I can get a short video together soon.

Thanks Ben!

Quick Reply: Purchase of the Day...