The problem with Porsches...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Spodie!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-nomore
All VERY nice cars!!!!

<---- I miss my Z, but I'm here to remedy that!!!
That's why I'm here too.

I'm sure that the '73 240 that my Dad gave me (he had just bought a RX-7 when it debuted) sparked my love of sports cars and driving in general.

Whenever you guys post pictures of your beautiful cars my ideal 911 seems to change!
Old 04-29-2006, 06:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Strangely enough My son had a friend come over to play today . his dad dropped him off in a 72 canary yellow 240Z with black striping on it . Boy did it look sharp , he said he bought it in Arizona last year.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:50 PM
holtjv
Intermediate

No offense whatsover, but I gave up my E39 M5 after just 3 months--I was coming from a 993 and thought I was going to get almost the same 'soulful' driving experience. But the M5, to me, was soul-less. Fast as doo-doo (the technical term), but road feel, steering feedback, and handling were very good for a sedan--but weren't what I wanted. If I had a straight-ish line and wanted to stomp on it, I'd get a thrill for 10-30 seconds, then done.

No more M5s for me. And just bought my 2d p-car, an SC--J
Old 04-30-2006, 03:37 AM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Autobonrun: Quite a stable you have. I love it. If you can't decide between 911 SC and 993, keep 'em both! Again, impeccable style, sir.

Out of curiosity, which do you like more? What are your perceived differences between the two?

And for the record, I think BMW M cars are great. I love my M Roadster. It goes 2x as quick w/ 1/2 the effort as my 911. If only it could look like the 911...

Oh, and someone asked about the interior color of my 911. Its black.

Thanks for all the compliments. I appreciate them all.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:55 AM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

911 rides rough - very loud inside - demands attention all the time - no power steering - barely power brakes - MAN I love my 911
Old 04-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Z-nomore
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spodie!
That's why I'm here too.

Whenever you guys post pictures of your beautiful cars my ideal 911 seems to change!

LOL, I know the feeling!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 07:41 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

randywebb,
no need to say, yes. I miss looking at the front of my old 240Z, yes. Rear, no

theiceman,
huh.. I sold that yellow 240z to a guy in Canada last year. No black stripe. Last time we talked, he was in the process of puting a skyline engine in it.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:36 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by hkiang
Autobonrun: Quite a stable you have. I love it. If you can't decide between 911 SC and 993, keep 'em both! Again, impeccable style, sir.

Out of curiosity, which do you like more? What are your perceived differences between the two?

And for the record, I think BMW M cars are great. I love my M Roadster. It goes 2x as quick w/ 1/2 the effort as my 911. If only it could look like the 911...
I've had the SC for 22 years and could not bear trade it when I decided to get the 993. That's why I ended up getting a lift installed so I could keep both.

Which do I like more is a difficult question. I think Super Dave described the SC perfectly. It's raw. It's loud, smells like oil at times; everything I think of in an early Porsche. It's probably the easiest to get to the limit but the least forgiving once there. I can get the tail out easily for turns which helps me set up my line to get through quickly. The car has 21/27 hollow Weltmeister's in place of the solid 19/24 stock torsion bars. That with Bilstein sports makes the car corner like it's on rails. Very flat. Weighing only about 2750 lbs with the SSI exchangers and dual out Dansk, I'm putting out more HP and Torque than a stock SC and you can tell, even though both HP and torque are half what I have in the M5. The SC sounds like a race car. I really have to throttle back just coming and going from my subdivision. Once, I set off alarms on two cars near mine just when I cranked it with a little extra gas. To get the most out of the SC you need to keep the revs up, but the sound is pure Porsche. At red line, the engine sounds like all hell's breaking loose but it could run there all day.

The C4S is the fastest of any of the three on a roadcourse. To wring the most out of this car, you also have to keep the revs up. The 4 wheel drive literally pulls you through a turn. I'd have to do something really stupid to get the tail out on this car. It's the most modern and comfortable of the air cooled cars but still has the same look and feel inside as the early cars. With the motor sound package, the engine sound alone is worth the money. The sound is different from the SC, more turbine like, while the SC is more mechanical if that makes sense. Mine has the RS clutch, light weight flywheel, and RS gears so it's also quicker than the stock 993. Although it has the M030 optioned suspension, it's the US version. Once I change over to ROW M030, it will be lower by an inch or so and will handle turns even better. It sits way too high in the stock form.

The M5 is faster in a straight line than any of the Porsches including the C4S. I had it on the track a couple weeks ago and was amazed at the balance and braking. 6 speeds, 400HP and 368 ft/lbs of torque allows me to lay rubber down in the first two gears if I'm so inclined. Full torque is availble from about 2500 rpm. This is the best all around sedan I've ever owned and I've had another 5 series and two other 7 series. 130mph feels like 80. At 80 mph, the car is only at 2500-2700 rpm so I think with the limiter off, 180 mph is achievable. It has very little body roll and the braking rivals anything else I've driven.

I didn't answer your question and truthfully can't. All three do what they were designed to do very well. The SC is the most engaging, and on sunny Fall days, my favorite to drive. The C4S is the quickest on the track, and probably draws the most attention, sometimes unwanted. The first few hours after I bought it, I had two cop cars pull in behind me at a gas station just to talk Porsche. The M5 is by far the most comfortable, most powerful, and the fastest. Where the M5 is a wolf in sheep's clothing; the Porsche is a wolf in wolf's clothing. It makes no attempt to hide its capabilities.

So, for those that play the stoplight to stoplight game, it's a pick your poison type scenario.

Last edited by autobonrun; 04-30-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autobonrun,
That was a great post. Thank you for talking about your cars. Comparing the M5 to the Porsches is hard. I think the Porsche is the best sports car ever made and the M5 is the best sport sedan ever made. Best wishes !
Old 04-30-2006, 09:52 PM
JP Stanley
7th Gear

Autobonrun, what kind of lift is that & where could I get one. Hope you don't mind me asking.
Thanks
Old 04-30-2006, 10:58 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Jay, thanks. Needless to say I agree with your statement on Porsches and the M5.

JP, the lift is from American Automotive Equipment. I had to have my garage door tracks raised and an extra section placed on the top of the door to allow clearance of the top car. They have frequent sales. Get on their email list if interested in receiving notices.

http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...1661/index.htm
Old 05-01-2006, 01:58 AM
JP Stanley
7th Gear

autobonrun, you know you have a clean SC, when you can sit up above your 993 and not worry about oil leaks. Sweeeeeet.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:38 AM
rentadate
Instructor

Originally Posted by autobonrun
I respectively disagree. Lexus yes, BMW's no way. Especially the M series. I'm partial to the M5 myself.

Nice car racking. how much did that cost you for those?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:43 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Smile

forgot to say:

Sorry about the ticket. I got 2 in 2 weeks last month...both in the beginning of the month. I origionally racked up a total of 8 points. But I paid the State Trooper off $60.00 and I got it reduced to 2 points. Now I have a 4 pointer in the works to go to in June! I'm mad. Also for the ticket for the State Troopers I had to address a check to "The Department of Revenue" (>_<)

For the ticket to the state troopers, I found there was an $10 charge for his "time" (There is actually a box labeled for "surcharge" I asked and he told me it was his time for pulling me over!) No wonder they like to take their damn sweet time with giving you a ticket.

Motorcycle cops suck ***. Especially when they are on the highway. Probably for the fact that no one can see them when they are driving on a bike. I think I also found that being a young guy in one of these cars, qualifies me as a "yuppie" and me being in Boulder Colorado doesn't help. I think all the cops in this town used to be "Dirty hippies." Now they hate "yuppies." Well That's life. It ain't fair. It sucks, but what can you do?

BTW, there hasn't been a front license plate on my car for the last 15 years. Most cops don't care about that really. They just want your money. Good luck with that one. Hope it turns out well for you.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My ticket was for speeding. 81mph in a 65mph zone. Talk about a bad value.

I actually had neither front or rear license plates on the car at the time but I had only registered the car some 15 mins before I was pulled over so I guess the officer figured I hadn't had a chance to put them on yet.

Quick Reply: The problem with Porsches...