Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

supercharger for my 911???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006 | 02:23 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Default supercharger for my 911???

where can i get one and does anyone here have any experence with them??

thanks
Eric
Old 04-27-2006 | 03:19 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Supercharging of Knoxville or (possibly) Turbo Performance Center in Maryland -- although I think TPC only makes kits for 964-and-later cars.

It's a $5K-$10K mod, once all is said and done.

Sometimes they lead to destroyed motors, and sometimes not. They make more sense for street use than track use.

Generally speaking, it's smarter to buy a motor that already has the horsepower you want. And generally speaking, (even aftermarket) turbocharging is more cost effective with 911's, because more develoment work has been done in that direction.

Big horsepower for the 911 is an expensive game.
Old 04-27-2006 | 03:28 PM
My87Targa
Racer

i dont want big power just around 350 to the wheel and around 330 ft lbs torque.

TPC doesnt do it on my car or id take it there as its only 20min from my house

i plan to do cams but i want more power, i dont really want a turbo because theres so much more that goes into them and to find one im happy with id be spending more then 10 grand. also i dont like the lag of a turbo but i could live with it.

is there a main site for superchargers of knoxsville??
Old 04-27-2006 | 04:00 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Who is the company making the sc's for the Boxster? Perhaps that kit would be easier to modify for the 911 if there isn't one available.

From some non-911 personal experience supercharging naturally-aspirated engines, you're looking at likely: larger capacity fuel pump, regulator, bigger injectors, and engine management (chip) at a minimum, aside from the blower & bracketry assuming a self-contained unit like Powerdyne or ATI (Vortech requires external oil lines). If the company doesn't provide a suggestion on a cooler heat range plug, look around first.

You'll want a more free-flowing exhaust than stock, I'd imagine, though the 911 seems pretty good out of the box.

Jack's right, with the turbo background the 911 enjoys, there's got to be a ton of info out there, even if you don't find a bolt-on package. FYI, blower kits for the Taurus SHO from SHO Shop (now defunct) were ~$5k in the day, using a Vortech V1 S-trim, chip, higher flow y-pipe, larger Mass Air sensor, fuel pump, injectors, bracketry, blow-off valve & tubing. Using more "normal" boost levels of about 9-10psi, I was able to take a 220hp engine & get 330whp out of it no problem. On other engines I'd done (low comp JE pistons, cams, headers, Accel injectors, etc etc) I got up to 419whp (~505 at the crank) pushing 15psi. At that point, I kept stripping out 3rd gear from the transaxle. Keep that in mind when you subject the non-930 transaxle to 930-ish power (not sure if there was a difference between the turbo's & non-turbo's trans in the later 80's turbos (?)). 911 transaxles are a lot more expensive than the MTX-IV in the SHO - they made 100k of them, and a good number are rotting away in the boneyards. :-D

Plan on lots of dyno tuning w/ air/fuel testing too.
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:47 PM
My87Targa
Racer

i really would like a direct bolt on kit, i know they are available but i dunno where to find them.

as for tunning that will happen with anything id like to do to the motor, so no biggy. i already have a very free flowing exhaust so thats done with and id deff. get a custom burned chip, bigger injectors, and prolly a better fule pump and fule pressure regulator.
Old 04-27-2006 | 10:50 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

SOK doesn't have a website unfortunately, I'm contemplating a similar route, and will more than likely have to fab everything myself since nobody makes a "Bolt on " kit, maybe talk to a few places if there is enough interest and get a kit developed. I think it could be done for around $5K per car.

But thats a pain in the *** so I'm leaning more towards a turbo, Nobody makes a kit for a 3.2 turbo that I know of, but it would be alot easier. you can get all sorts of compressor maps to combine hot and cold housings to get all sorts of power wherever you want it, intercooler and piping are easy. Data log it on a dyno and have a chip burned. Sounds easy if you know people and what you are doing.

As far as the 915, torque kills gear boxes and a 915 is pretty apt to handle some power with a few good mods like a quaife and some cryro treating of gears
Old 04-27-2006 | 11:01 PM
My87Targa
Racer

i dont have a 915 box my car is a 87. also 5 grand for a super charger is alot cheaper then almost all turbo kits ive seen. i mean i guess i could buy a manifold that will fit then custom fab it. i dont wanna do a bore on my motor or any crap like that cuz then im getting around what it would cost to just sell my car and buy a factory turbo 911 and have most the battel already won
Old 04-27-2006 | 11:26 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

$5K would be an approx. for a SC kit, install would be extra, probably $1500 would be super easy with a 3.2, SC has CIS and fueling would be harder to deal with.

As far as a turbo, you can buy a nice garrett GTxx ball bearing for less than a grand, and have the plumbing done up, I would leave my stock heater boxes, and make a manifold that bolts where that cat/pre muff would go, and plumb it, I can do all this myself so I'm in it parts, injectors, fuel pump, and the like and my own time. I have seen some home built kits, some nice, some that look like a bomb went off under the car.........
Old 04-27-2006 | 11:50 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
$5K would be an approx. for a SC kit, install would be extra, probably $1500 would be super easy with a 3.2, SC has CIS and fueling would be harder to deal with.

As far as a turbo, you can buy a nice garrett GTxx ball bearing for less than a grand, and have the plumbing done up, I would leave my stock heater boxes, and make a manifold that bolts where that cat/pre muff would go, and plumb it, I can do all this myself so I'm in it parts, injectors, fuel pump, and the like and my own time. I have seen some home built kits, some nice, some that look like a bomb went off under the car.........
if you seriously persue the building of a turbo kit for your car keep me updated. id like to see how it turns out.

instalation is no biggy i can do that, custom fabbing pipes would be a bit outta my knowledge range but im sure someone i know can help.
Old 04-28-2006 | 10:02 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

FYI, cryo treating isn't always a sure-fire thing. I spent big bucks acquiring some of the last NOS trans parts on that track SHO, cryo treated everything, rebuilding my Quaife'd trans, and still blew 3rd.

Quick Reply: supercharger for my 911???