Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thanks, Peter Z.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006 | 12:54 PM
holtjv
Intermediate

Default Thanks, Peter Z.

I'm in hot pursuit of a 79 SC (Talbot yellow) and read your latest book---I was able to walk through the procedure for leak down with the mechanic who's doing the PPI over phone! He gave all the right answers, particularly as they relate to performing the test correctly.

This gives me great comfort since I'm in texas and the car's in CA.

I think there's a quote in your book, not verbatim, "anything that reduces stress is a good thing". I also fully disclosed to the mechanic that I am book-learnt and a tad **** when it comes to things like this--as expected, he was fully cooperative and happy to go over his inspection items with me.

In thinking, this is probably a good thing for anyone to do when getting a PPI to see how defensive the meck might be.

Thanks, again, Peter--I'll be in the market for the right repair manual next. Jack
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

repair manual . ...Bently ....
Old 04-26-2006 | 02:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Jack: Thank you for the nice words, I'm glad that the book is proving to be of help as you look for that special car! You're right, long distance purchases always carry an extra element of risk, but it sounds like you're proceeding with caution. Seeing as how the car's a '79 make sure that the tech checks those head studs! Good luck with it!
Pete
Old 04-26-2006 | 03:35 PM
holtjv
Intermediate

Crap. didn't ask him to do that--he'll have the valve covers off to do the leak down--can he easily check them by torquing them, or something? Thanks. J
Old 04-26-2006 | 04:00 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Jack: It's visual - if the nuts are there so are the studs. The covers did not have to come off for the leakdown, this is a different operation...
Pete
Old 04-26-2006 | 04:07 PM
holtjv
Intermediate

yeah, just talked to him...thanks. He went ahead and did a compression test and all cylinders were 150 excepting one at 155--he suggested not to spend the $ on the leakdown because of the consistency--I'm hoping this makes sense.

Other than the usual seals seeping, the car's in pretty good shape--it has the original chain tensioner, though--how fast do you think I should get the hydraulic chain tensioner installed? Car has 131k miles...thanks again...J
Old 04-26-2006 | 07:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

The tensioners should be done yesterday, and don't accept what the tech said about the leakdown! A leakdown test is absolutely mandatory - sorry - just like looking at those head studs with the covers off.
Pete
Old 04-26-2006 | 09:00 PM
holtjv
Intermediate

Pete---I called the mechanic, apologized profusely for not having insisted earlier, and asked him to do the head bolt check. He replied that he had buttoned up the car and the seller just drove it home.

So, naturally, I called the seller and he's taking it back tomorrow...

Pete, if he finds some broken, loose, whatever bolts, is your SC still for sale? I'll make you an instant offer for it. Jack
Old 04-27-2006 | 04:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Hi Jack: Yes, at this time the car is available. Let me know how the inspection of the cylinder head studs goes...

Pete
Old 04-29-2006 | 02:07 PM
holtjv
Intermediate

Good news (for me anyway)! The head stud inspection went glowingly--the technician was actually quite impressed. So I'll pass on your SC and look forward to getting my talbot yellow. thanks for the help...J
Old 04-29-2006 | 04:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Jack: Good news! Congrats on the car...

Pete

Quick Reply: Thanks, Peter Z.