Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

warped dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 06:30 PM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post warped dashboard

I have a warped dashboard (not cracked) around the defroster vent areas and some shrinkage around the center vent area. It is a chocolate colored leather dashboard. I don't think a dash pad would look good due to the warped condition, which isn't too bad but it is noticeable.

Any suggestions to improving the appearance?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:38 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to the Pelican board and do a search. A couple of guys there have recently replaced their dashboards with good success. Not an impossible job, apparently.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:55 PM
mducharme
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I'll tell you what I did. I removed a dash top on my 84 cab and replaced it with a new one from pelican parts(466.00). The old dash was sitting on my work bench taking up space so I decided to have a go at it. I rounded up six peices of 2 by 2 by 1 wood , cut them to fit for the warpage, wet the area (under side) and clamped it with welder quick clamps. I used a blow drier to speed up the process. Let it sit over night with the intention of repeating the process if need be. Only needed one treatment for the area around the defroster vents. The center vent took a little more finesse but basiclly the same idea. I would put my used dash back in before using a cheap coverlay. Don't forget you gotta stare at that thing every time you turn the key. I wasn't sure if it would work but it did. It would have saved me alot of money. I hope this helps

Mike (mducharme)
Old 04-15-2003, 08:18 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought one of those coverlay plastic covers for my cracked '72 dash. I don't care for it. It just doesn't fit right without A LOT of filing/fitting/adjusting/more filing. I lost patience with it and just stuck it in. Eventually, I'm just going to replace the dash. (But doesn't that require front glass removal?!??!) Anyway, I would avoid the coverlay thing.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: warped dashboard