Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery recommendations? Optima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 12:06 AM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW...
I took Bill G's recommendation on the Duralast this evening (he's been a great source for SC info), especially since the 5 Interstate dealers in my area didn't have the MB66 in stock, and couldn't get it until the middle of next week (I'm leaving for a Pocono DE tomorrow night). For $60 it comes with a full exchange warranty for the first 2 years, and then prorated over the next 5. I replaced a Porsche battery which weighed 60+ lbs with the Duralast at about 35 lbs. Now all I have to do is lose about 25 lbs, and that will be the equivalent of an additional 5 HP!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:08 AM
gr8fl4porsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the large Interstate. While it is difficult to install and remove - it has performed very well for over 2 years despite the fact that my car sits for several weeks sometimes between starts.

I have used Interstate batteries in a fleet of cars and trucks at my work for years and swear by them. Definitely not the same as an Autozone battery.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:52 PM
realtime
Instructor

Thanks again for all the info-
I checked on an Optima from my local Interstate dealer (apparenly Optima is owned by Interstate) and the shorter Interstate MB 66. according to his supplier Optima doesnt make a battery for the MY '87 911- and the MB 66 isnt powerful enough - something about the cold cranking amps or ??

Am I getting a run-around from theis guy or what?
Thanks again,
Dan
Old 04-18-2003, 09:21 PM
pwd72s
Pro

I wouldn't say you're getting the run around, but I would say he's probably looking at a chart that says the optima size isn't the same, nor are the mounting points, as the factory battery. Optima works! Take the time needed to buy the AJUSA adaptor plate, do the slight (no holes drilled) modifications, and you'll have a battery with no spilling possibility, and one that will likely last 10 years. Here's a site you may want to check out. <a href="http://www.batteryweb.com" target="_blank">www.batteryweb.com</a>

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations? Optima?