911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.0 Valve Cover Gaskets - What to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006 | 10:13 PM
randyrap
Instructor

Default 3.0 Valve Cover Gaskets - What to use?

I am replacing my valve cover gaskets (upper and lower) and would like to know if there is a difference between the OEM gaskets and the Victor Heinz. What do you suggest I use.

Thanks in advance .................... Randy
Old 04-18-2006 | 12:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Randy: The thing to remember is that you need clean surfaces. In some cases, on neglected housings/covers, a single edged razor blade and a precision ground scraping tool can really help. For the intakes the black gaskets work fine. If you have the deeply ribbed lower covers (commonly known as Turbo covers) and they're flat (check with a straight edge) you can use the green gaskets without a silicone bead. If you're in doubt about the condition of your covers you might want to use the green gaskets with silicone bead. There are a few makers of the green gaskets, I've never seen a bad one. One thing you must be careful of - the 8mm aluminum washers. There are good ones that will not crush at 18 lb/ft of torque (German made) and crappy ones that will crush into the stud threads (Taiwan made) well before you reach required torque. Also, always use new nuts, Nylok type with sealing insert, the correct finish for those nuts is gold, not silver. Another trick I've done with a lot of covers is to use a machinists file (called a "Mill Bastard") to gently clean and flatten the sealing surface. The file that I use is about 16" long and more that an inch wide, and care still must be taken to not create divots. What is your reason for wanting to do the cover gaskets?
Pete
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:01 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Hey Pete,

What's your thoughts on those silicone valve cover gaskets that are re-useable? They cost more up front but may be cheaper in the long run?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Hi Joel: To me a re-usable gasket is a scary thing! I really do not have the schooling to comment on whether or not they actually work, but effective gaskets rely on a certain amount of compression. If the gaskets you mention bounce back to as-new thickness, are washable, will not be harmed by dirt or oil... In other words, I have no idea!
Pete
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:53 PM
randyrap
Instructor

Hi Pete.
I'm adjusting the valves and wanted to put in new gaskets as suggested in the manuals. My engine did not have any oil leaks. I'm also cleaning several studs that came out and will use Loctite when I put them back in. I already removed the nuts from the studs. This is the first time I've adjusted the valves on this car, so I'm learning as I go. I have to say that is is much easier than I thought.
Thanks ........ Randy
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Randy: Have fun - I hope that it all comes together OK for you! Remember, there must be "drag" against your feeler gauge as you remove it, but you must be able to re-insert it as a guard against getting the clearance too tight! Also, keep the gauge in good condition - too many scratches will throw off your adjustment...
Pete
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey Randy glad to see you got the socket you were after ... I will do mine next year now I think ... especially since I finally got the covers to stop leaking ... well sot of .. let 's say stop dripping and leave it at that eh ?

Quick Reply: 3.0 Valve Cover Gaskets - What to use?