Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Are all ducktail spoilers created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:59 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are all ducktail spoilers created equal?

Looks like Automotion's fiberglass tail is $299, Pelican has one for $540. Anyone have any experience what I can expect with quality related to panel gaps and fit?

I am not looking for perfection for my 28 year old SC, but I would spring for the pricier one if I knew it was money well spent.

Ulrich
Old 04-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ulrich:

Nossir, these are certainly not all the same.

There are good ones and bad ones but ALL of them require work to fit the decklid opening properly.

We use Getty Design ones, exclusively (except for the factory ones we find, of course).
Old 04-15-2006, 01:24 AM
stormmaster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed one from Rennspeed...They produce them for several retailers....They have the proper side profile, the bottom side is also very close to stock....some are wrong...some are awful....some are better than most...I am quite happy with mine and it was very reasonably piced...word of warning....be very carefull during the initial fit and alinment portion of the install...and when you mount the latch be very certain it is perfectly centered in the receiver before closing your lid....it can be a very costly mistake and quite difficult to get open....ask me how I know....
Old 04-15-2006, 10:44 AM
ulrichd
Racer

Thanks for the input. Did you have to modify it (sanding or shaping) to make it fit your car?

Do you have any pics?

Ulrich
Old 04-15-2006, 11:40 AM
stormmaster
Instructor

It needed a little shaping and adjustment, I was in a hurry (my brother says I am very impatient) so I had a local body shop do the work while I was out of town on business...they do a lot of custom work on street rods and street machines...it was worth it....the finished product came out beautifully....I will try to get some pictures shortly....I spent most of the day yesterday putting it back together (grill back in, a/c condensor mounted, rear bumper put back together, new twin out muffler, new valance)
Old 04-15-2006, 06:03 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Shaw/Getty one (same product) It is well made but the gaps are way to big, took some effort to make it look good.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I don't know if this suggestion will work for Porsche deck lids. It works for Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine bonnets (hoods).

Take the male end off the lid - and take off the mount that holds the male end. Press just the loose male part it into the female end of the latch (you might need help having someone pull open the latch while you push it in). Now, basically, the rod is sticking up out of the latch. Put masking tape over the hole on the lid where the mount went. Close the lid. The male end in the latch then tears a hole in the tape. Lift it back up. Mount the male end bracket back up on the lid, lining it up with the hole in the tape. Put the male end back in, and it is aligned perfectly.

To get the tape back out from under the deck lid mount, you may use additional tape around the mount to mark where the mount goes, remove the mount so you can get the tape underneath the mount back off, then put the mount back on.

As I said, this works great for the Tiger. I don't know for sure about the 911 parts. It's the same concept. So, it might just work here too.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:12 AM
911pcars
Racer

I purchased my ducktail through Performance Products. And it's anyone's guess as to who their suppliers are.

Anyway, the cheaper price was offset by the 13 hours I spent prepping it to fit and for paint. Gaps were off on all four sides, it stood proud of the surrounding sheet metal by a not inconsiderable amount and the lower corners didn't match. They do now.

I have fit issues with my FG Rennspeed RS rear bumper, but that's another story.

I would assume prime suppliers like Getty (those who actually make the pieces) will provide a more consistent part to work from.

Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Sherwood,

That is one beautiful 911!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:13 PM
911pcars
Racer

Thanks Jack,
However, mine pales in comparison to others of similar ilk. Here are a few more ducktails to compare. I think all manufacturers are represented here, even PAG ('04 RGruppe)

Sherwood
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Are all ducktail spoilers created equal?