Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil temp soars during freeway run, now oil puddles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:02 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil temp soars during freeway run, now oil puddles.

Things aren't well with Heidi, my 78SC.

This am, during a freeway run at a steady 80-85 mph, I noticed the oil temp creeping toward red, the pressure needle was flicking up and down. Pulling off to let the car cool down, I opened the engine lid and noticed small oil puddles where the smog pump (now removed) used to be mounted and on top of the left chain tensioner housing.

Driving home on regular streets the temp and pressure held steady. Oil level is at about 3/4 full.

Any idea what happened? The car idles steady with no tapping or timing chain noises.

Ulrich
Old 04-02-2006, 11:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Ulrich I have no idea and there are tonnes more people qualified than I, but since no one has responded..

Did you find out where the oil came from ?

Do oyu know if your oil thermastat is opening ? You should feel the trombone cooler under the front passenger fender and see if it is hot, if not your thermostat is not opening. If your oil presure is dropping it could be the bypass valve opening or air in the oil circuit ?? Either way sounds serious as the pressure is REALLY dropping , not just a guage or sensor. Let us know how you make out , especially since I have a 78 also ... PS I just sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Oil temp soars during freeway run, now oil puddles.