Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bolt on Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Eric S.
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on Modifications?

I am new to 911 ownership and so far the people here have shared lots of great info- Thank you. I'm thinking about a few bolt on performance pieces. I thought I might buy an exhaust (don't know which to buy) a chip (ditto to the exhaust) and open up the air intake with a performance filter and airbox modification from Fabspeed. Would the car be obnoxious with these modifications ? What combinations work best and what can I expect for my money?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Eric:

The very first question I'd ask is what year your car is and how many miles are on it?

FWIW, the stock airbox and filter outperforms the aftermarket stuff on the engine dyno each & every time. Save your money for things that actually work.

Some suggestions (without knowing what car you have):

1) Suspension upgrades such as shocks, turbo-tie rods, strut brace, and perhaps larger torsion bars depending on how you will use the car and how you drive.

2) Engine performance upgrades such as a GOOD chip (Motronic-equipped engines), and a good sport muffler. Other items such as cams, larger pistons/cylinders are much more expensive.

3) Close ratio gears. Nothing makes as big a difference to acceleration (without major displacement increases) as this one. Again, not cheap but FAR more cost effective than major engine upgrades.

Good luck with your new car!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:53 AM
stormmaster
Instructor

M-K Muffler makes a great looking unit, they sound great, and the price is right(about 1/3 the cost of some)...I pulled the chip out of mine...the car is much more streetable...all most chips do is re-map timing advance...but that is another long argument between those that like them and those that dont, as far as air cleaners...the lid on my Carrera is modified to replicate the Carrera Cup lid and sounds great, doesnt add any power...but it sounds good...it has been said many times...the best performance increase you can buy is a good driver training course...these cars have a lot of potential from the factory....a good driver in a stock car is often a lot quicker than an average driver in a highly modified car...learn to drive what you have before you go modifying ....just my .02
Old 04-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Eric S.
AutoX

Sorry I should have posted the vehicle. My car is an 87 carrera 3.2 with 92,000 kms on it (about 60K miles). Does a tune up on these cars consist of more than filters oil plugs wires and a valve adjustment? My car hasn't been used alot over the last 4 years. Can you tell me what the airbox modification consisted of? The fabspeed mod uses the back of the stock box (keeps the velocity stack) but loses the front cover and replaces it with an open cover that holds the filter in place.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:31 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

First of all, congratulations on what sounds like a nice car. What you do to your car ultimately depends on your intended use and your budget. There very few "bolt on mods" that add performance to your car. You can make it sound differently by adding an aftermarket muffler. There are many to chose from. I would first go after the suspension and brakes and make sure that they are in top shape. Things wear out of time: shocks, lines, pads, rotors, bushings, engine and transmission mounts, etc. Elephant racing products and Smart Racing Products have kits tuned for street versus street/track versus track/race use and can help you with the decsion making process. Leave your engine alone unless you have to do a rebuild and have a healthy budget.

I've built my 78SC up to a race car from a street car using many of Steve Weiner's tips. Can't go wrong heeding his advise.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...iondiagram.htm

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/default.htm

Have some time on your hands? Here is the link to the Pelican Parts technical articles.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm
Old 04-01-2006, 10:49 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

For 1987 Carrera Bang for the buck - keep the air filter. Get a euro premuffler in place of the catalytic converter and sport muffler then go to pelican parts and buy the 911chips Steve Wong that is optimized for the exhaust.

If you have a big budget - then I can recommend Extrude Hone - bored TB - 993 SS cams - 3.4 Mahle and performance exhaust (in my case, B & B headers and magna flow exhaust)
Then you can get a little more HP
Old 04-01-2006, 02:13 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
1) Suspension upgrades such as shocks, turbo-tie rods, strut brace, and perhaps larger torsion bars depending on how you will use the car and how you drive.

2) Engine performance upgrades such as a GOOD chip (Motronic-equipped engines), and a good sport muffler.
Originally Posted by g-50cab
For 1987 Carrera Bang for the buck - keep the air filter. Get a euro premuffler in place of the catalytic converter and sport muffler then go to pelican parts and buy the 911chips Steve Wong that is optimized for the exhaust.
Words of wisdom.

Quick Reply: Bolt on Modifications?