Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help install Bilstein shocks and struts ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:25 AM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help install Bilstein shocks and struts ????

Hello all!

I've ordered new Bilstein HDs front and Sport rears for my 1988 911 coupe. They arrived yesterday, but they seem to have shipped with different rubber bushings than I had expected. It looks like different pieces than was on the car originally. Are some of these rubber pieces just for shipping? Or are they supposed to all be installed?

Does anyone have a schematic they could share showing proper installation of these Bilsteins? I'm not clear and I want to be certain I'm doing it right. Any clues for front and rear?

As always... many thanks!!

Old 03-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you order Bilstein inserts for Bilstein struts (green) or Boge struts (black)?
Pete
Old 03-30-2006, 10:25 AM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

.... sorry I should have mentioned that. The car was origonally setup with Boge struts and shocks.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:05 PM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

Default cut rubber dampers?

One other wrinkle here... should I bother to cut down the big rubber dampers because I will be lowering my 911 immediately after doing this shock and strut replacement? I plan on setting it up with 25" rear under-the-fender measurment, and 25 1/2" in the front.

The car is for street use only, but I want a solid setup. I read about cutting the rubber dampers down on lowered cars on P.com. Is it overkill? Or is it required for lowered cars?

All your help and advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

The Bilstein has internal rubber dampers on the front so you don't install any of that stuff, The one thing I did do was remove the spacer in the front. watch out for thr oil when taking the old one apart, it is a hydraulic shock so you will have to suck out lots of oil. The rears I found pretty straight forward. Took out the old and inserted the new.

Quick Reply: Help install Bilstein shocks and struts ????