Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help me find the mystery "click" from under the front seats!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help me find the mystery "click" from under the front seats!

Friends, if you have ever stripped the interior of your 911, I could use really your input:

I hear a tiny metallic "c-click" sound coming from an area under/behind each seat, and/or near the base of each B-pillar.

The sounds are triggered by inertia, and heard only during stop-and-go situations:
- At rest, the clicks happen the moment the clutch is released and the car moves.
- Once rolling (under 10 mph), the clicks happen the moment the brakes are applied.

It sounds like two BB's inside a small tube. Tip the tube and you'd hear "c-click" as the BB's roll/hit/stop the end.

I've searched high and low and find nothing obvious. Seat belts work fine and their ratchet mechanism makes a different sound. I tried isolating the jump seat's seat belts, by stuffing the area with towels, but there was no change.

This is my daily driver, so it's getting to me. ANY ideas are welcome! Thanks.

Last edited by Bob Prosser; 03-29-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:03 AM
pgrunwald
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you see this thread on Pelian?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hat+where+cash

Paul
--------------------
'87 Targa
Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 AM
lewis9113.2
Instructor

Do the seat adj. switches work?
There are ball bearings in these switches....if the switch is bust, then the ballbearings might be rolling about in the case.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

The answer came quickly with some help from the guys on Pelican Parts. I ended-up pushing a little grease deep inside the seat rail tracks (with a Q-tip). This helped to keep the ball bearings in place that the seat rolls back and forth on. Although this is an image of an older seat, it helps show where I am talking about.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:06 AM
zdek
Intermediate

Here's what more than likely happened. After reinstalling your seats, your rails were not perfectly alligned (front to back) and the lock for your horizontal seat adjustment clicked in under the inertia. This happened to me and it's really difficult to get the two rails perfect so that the locking teeth ingage everytime. The ball bearings could also be the cause - they'll make a different sound than the teeth though. Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but when my seats lock, they go "CLACK!," and I am talking about a very subtle "c-click" -- it sounded like a few BB's rolling in a tube, and apparently, if it's the track's bearings, I wasn't very far off.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And I thought it was the FBI's tracking device watching your every move, recording every trip done at more than 90 mph, watching every time you winked at a member of the opposite sex not your spouse, every time that you tried to get away with putting lower octane gas in the car in order to save a couple of bucks, every... oh man, I hear somebody outside my wind... aaagh...
Old 03-30-2006, 08:35 PM
zdek
Intermediate

true - in your case I think it was those bearings. I still need to fix the clack under my seat...
Old 03-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete, I think there's an air bubble in your lithium drip. Ask your nurse to give it a light tap, and the black 'copters and triangular UFOs will go "voop." Don't ask me how I know.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

...er I think Petes bearings are coming loose... I think he needs to be repacked.. and by the way was that a plane that hit the Pentagon ?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL! I thought I heard something when I turned my head quickly - now where did I put that lithium...

A really funny story. About 20 years ago I had a really strange client. When at the shop he kept looking over his shoulder, and his eyes darted like a fly in a room full of lights. On the day his car was in for a major, he pulled me aside and said, "Look for a device." I said, "Huh?" He said, "You know, a device. One of those things that tracks where you go..." I said, "Oh, one of those devices." He said, "I think it's near the gas tank..." I said, "Do you think it emits a beep?" And on went the conversation for another minute. We never found his "device." Beep...beep...beep...beep...
Pete
Old 03-31-2006, 03:48 PM
Jeremy Cottrell
Advanced

I once had a client who insisted that there was a "device" in his speedometer.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

So what is the word for Paranoid when you are right ?

Quick Reply: Help me find the mystery "click" from under the front seats!