Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turned down by glass guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turned down by glass guys

I am trying to get the windshield on my '87 coupe replaced. The shop that was highly recommended to me by PCA guys just told me this morning that the are not willing to do the work because my insurance company, Liberty Mutual, will not allow a large enough mark-up on the fee for them to make a profit on the job.

So, am I screwed here? Is it likely that, if told the same thing by Liberty Mutual, no glass shop will do the work? Other than pay out of pocket for the entire job, what other options do I have?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Offer the shop the difference between what LM allows and what the "need" to get??
Old 03-29-2006, 10:45 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

FInd another shop. Replacing a 911 windshield is no big deal. I had it done by a company called Safe-t- LIte (I think they may be a national chain). They came to my garage. poped the thing out and replaced it in 20 minutes with my current gasket for $180.... a new gasket would have added about $80.... looks great.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it done right and have german glass (sigla, sekruit) installed by a shop that routinely puts glass in porsches and definitely have the gasket replaced at the same time. If the shop you found comes highly recommended negotiate with them to pay the difference.

You can do a search on this forum and Pelican on windshield replacement. You'll find lots of horror stories and advice
Old 03-29-2006, 11:37 AM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure to replace the gasket, but other then that any glass place can do it.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

And I was told use only Porsche factory rubber seals... If anyone wants a NEW OEM (not P-Factory) seals I have a windshield and rear window you can have for 1/2 of what I paid... my shop wouldn't use them.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:58 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Have a good shop do it and pay all of it. Present the bill to the Ins. Co. If they don't refund the whole amt. then contact your state's ins. commission with a complaint.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advice, guys. Thanks. I am going to try to work something out with this highly recommended shop so I know the job is done properly.

What are the ramifications for the insurance company if a complaint is lodged against them with the state insurance commission?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:12 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

That is the regualtory authority over all ins. co.s in a state. In reality, there are lobbyists and revolving doors, etc. But they won't like it, that for sure. If they get enough complaints the state will take action against them.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for GEICO so I know a little about auto insurance. Call Liberty up and ask to speak with your adjuster. Explain the situation, provide the adjuster with a copy of the quote, and see if they will make an exception. Policy retention is a very big deal for insurance companies - believe me, they know the cost of acquiring a customer far exceeds the cost of retaining a customer - so there is a decent chance you can get the adjuster to approve a variance, particularly if you have been with them for a while, have multiple coverages, and a sparce claim history.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:36 AM
DARISC
Racer

I'm having my windshield replaced (and both windshield & rear window gaskets) while my car's in for paint - the glass co. comes to the car, $175.00 installed (plus the gaskets).

It's probably not Sigla or Sekurit, but it's DOT approved and I'm not a purist. Are there pitfalls buying other than the German brands?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:49 AM
stormmaster
Instructor

I work for a rather large insurance company as well....The comment about contacting the insurance commisioner was humorous....they have much bigger fish to try than to worry about how much profit a glass company "needs" to make....bad faith...insurance fraud...regulatory issues...just to name a few....Just because one shop feels they need to make more profit than what the insurance company wants to pay is not an issue for the insurance commision...that would be a different story if there were several glas companies that had the same issue...my suggestion....contact several reputable shops and ask them for their installed insurance price (insurance companies usually get larger discounts than general public due to the volume generated by the company....some companies get bigger discounts than others....I can also tell you that typically when writing an estimate to replace a windshield and I receive a supplement from a shop that provides an invoice for a higher price I pay the difference without question if it is within reason...how much more is your shop wanting over what your insurance company is willing to pay.....most shops across the country want a 25% markup on sublet work (like installing windshields)...so figure out what the actual cost of the glass is mark it up 25% and add labor based on national estimating guide (Mitchell or ADP) multiplied by local labor rate plus tax...and figure out who is actually correct....just my .02
Old 03-30-2006, 02:56 AM
stormmaster
Instructor

Darisc....in a word....yes. Many glass companies quoting much cheaper prices use inferior glass. It looks pretty close but the clarity is not the same...as well as the thickness of the glass...Most use cheap glass from one manufacturer in particular (I won't name names here) but they are notorious for low quality materials. There are actually only four manufactures of windshield glass in the world...3 of them are good...and they each manufacture glass under several different names
Old 03-30-2006, 03:34 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Contact the state reg. agency - it is illegal for the ins. co. not to pay the cost of restitution.

Great to hear that people who work for an ins. co. are saying don't contact the ins. commission!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 AM
stormmaster
Instructor

Insurance companies have to pay REASONABLE repair costs....and what "reasonable" means is set out by repair industry prevailing competitive price (charges from the majority of shops in that particular area)...Just because you take your car to a shop that charges substantially more that what a majority of the shops in the area would charge to do a certain repair does not mean the insurance company is required to pay that amount...read your policy...for example...if the majority of the shops in your area charge $50/hour for labor.....the shop you choose to do the repairs charges $100....the insurance company will pay $50/hour...and you will be obligated to negotiate with the shop for the remainder...you have several options...but before contacting the insurance commision I suggest reading your policy to determine exactly what those options are...each insurance compny writes it's own policy approved by the commision...and said policy is a legal contract between you and your insurance company...Personally I could care less if you file a complaint...I just think you should know where you stand...Insurance compaies are not all bad...and I dont want to argue in this forum about what is owed by any insurance company and what is percieved as being owed...just trying to help out

Quick Reply: Turned down by glass guys