Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Testing the Wiper Motor speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:54 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Testing the Wiper Motor speeds

Does anyone know what wires I should jump to where to test the 3 different speeds in my 1973 wiper motor?

My problem is that when I got my car back from the painter (and after I spent several hours cleaning up all the paint and bondo dust everywhere), my motor runs at the smae speed in all 3 switch positions. Even with HarryD's help I haven't been able to decipher the schematic's little German diagrams completely (I'm sure they mean something or they wouldn't be on there). So, right now, I have a choice of several wires that be jumped to various places -- I'd like to narrow that down if possible...
Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 AM
F16driver
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Randy,
Did you ever get the info you were looking for about the wiper speed test? I have a similar problem in that my high speed position doesnt work. I've replaced the switch on the steering column and the wiper motor assembly and in both cases only the first 2 speeds work. So I assume its a wiring issue and my next stop is to check out the ground under the dash near the ac controls. I would like to know which treminals to jump (if you managed to get that info).

John P
87 911 Carrera Coupe (original owner)
Old 08-22-2006, 07:47 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

no - never did; house painting took over...
Old 08-24-2006, 09:59 AM
F16driver
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper test

My wipers (87 Carrera 3.2) would only work on the first 2 positions. When I selected speed 3 they would just stop. Here's what I did to check out the system:
Assuming your dash gauges come out easily by pulling on them, I gained access to the wiper wiring harness on the back of the wiper motor by removing the clock and speedometer(pulled out and left hanging by wires).
First I tested to see if the motor was getting power. I'm assuming the motor is good and I've removed the wiper arms so they don't drag across the windshield.
With the wiper switch off, I tested the female side of the wiper motor wiring harness with a test light and an ohmmeter. In my case, my harness has 5 terminals, with the holes facing you, one at 12 o'clock, one at 3 o'clock, one at 6 o'clock, one at 9 o'clock, and one in the middle. On my car the 3 o'clock wire is red with white stripe, 6 o'clock is violet, 9 o'clock is blue with white stripe, 12 o'clock is black with yellow stripe and middle wire is green.
I grounded my test light and/or ohmmeter on the wiper motor ground tab on the motor assembly(brown wire).
With the ignition key turned to on(not start) and the wiper turned off, I probed the 3 o'clock position (red/white) on the wiring harness and my test light comes on. If I used an ohmmeter with dc volts selected my meter shows 12 volts.
I get no lights or volts with any of the other terminals tested.
Next I turned the wiper to on, slow, 1st speed and test the 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock plugs and both turn on my test light and/or give 12 volts on the ohmmeter. No other position/terminal plugs have volts.
Next turn wiper to speed 2 position and test 3 o'clock and 12 o'clock plugs. I get power(light) and/or 12 volts from both. Nothing from the others.
Next turn wiper to speed 3 or high and test 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and I get power and/or 12 volts from both. Nothing from the others.
If you're not getting volts during any of these tests your problem could be upstream towards the switch.
Turn ignition off and wiper switch off and unplug the wiper switch wiring plug, mine is located under the dash to the left of the steering column. When I unplugged mine there were signs of light corrosion (water) where the wire pugs in under the dash. So I cleaned the area with electrical contact cleaner/ let it dry and then used dielectric grease in the holes and plugged the switch back in under the dash.
I also took the trim cover off the steering column to get at the wiper switch. This required removing the steering wheel. I found one wire solder connection on the wiper switch that was loose and resoldered it. I also sprayed the switch with electrical contact cleaner(make sure you protect your dash and carpet with a rag).
I also cleaned the ground points. One was just under the dash just to the left of the ashtray.
In my case I hooked everything up and it worked.
Somewhere along the way I cleaned the fuse box terminals with a dremel tool wire brush and put new fuses in. This doesn't tell you how to test the motor but maybe your motor is not the problem. I'm by no means an electrician but this worked for me. I'm guessing you might be able to ground your motor and supply power to the motor using the wire positions discussed above.
Hope this helps.

Let me know if that works. If it was working fine before your car was painted I suspect your painter may have clogged a few items.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by F16driver; 08-24-2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 08-24-2006, 03:08 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Thx - yes he must have gotten dust somewhere in there (turns out he got dust all over the interior and in the vents, etc.)

Quick Reply: Testing the Wiper Motor speeds