Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is this throttle part?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:05 AM
divesnob
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this throttle part?

I'm a proud first time '87 3.2 owner and bought it from a fellow Rennlist/PCA member. This past weekend, I had a problem where the throttle got stuck while coming onto the highway. I'm not exactly sure what this part is, but it broke between marks (A) and (B) in the picture. I have circled the part and am looking for what it is called exactly. Also, where can I get a replacement and is this something fairly easy for porsche newbie to replace? I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, and want to know as much about this great car as possible.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 AM
KCinBR
Intermediate

That appears to be the cruise control cable, see if it goes to the cruise servo thingy in the left front engine compartment. Mine popped out and caused the motor to rev. very high (this was while I was working on something else)
Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Fairly easy to replace - try www.pelicanparts.com That end is really easy - the other end where it meets the vacuum canister at the back of the engine is a little more tricky (just because of the way that it connects to the canister) It is the cruise control cable.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

You can see both side a little better in this picture

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That cable break can be very dangerous as you experienced. Mine did it while accelerating in heavy traffic. I did have the capability of turning off the ignition before I had an accident. What the cable does when that connection is broken is this: the black sheathed cable pulls out of the connector (threaded portion) and gets hung on the side of the connector. I found by tapping the accelerator the cable would go back into the connector and go back to idle. A temporary fix is to get some fine wire, put the cable back inside the connector, and wire both sides together so they wont come apart and cause the same problem again.

The best fix is a new cable or hopefully you can find a good used one. I found a used one from an 88 911 and made my own (new) cable using the good and bad one. I went a step further and made an adapter that fit the connector (black threaded portion) and the cable. I then made a small clamp that fit over the cable and bolted it to a new bracket I made. I attached that bracket to a fan shround bolt on top of the shroud, just adjacent to the cable. Now the cable doesn't move at all.

Don't be surprised at the cost of a new cable assembly. Pelican has them stating at $56.75 for a 76-80 911. The cost for an 81-83 911, 84-87 911, and 88-89 911 is $174. Other places may have them cheaper, but I know Pelican has them. You will have to check for your specific year since they all have different part numbers. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:39 PM
divesnob
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight. It is much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:52 PM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

Default Jeremy- where did you get the SS motronic fuel line?

Hi all,

Off topic, but I couldn't help but notice in the photo Jeremy attached the SS main motronic fuel line. Where did you get that? I'll need one soon and like yours.

By the way - nice looking engine ! Did you paint the induction yourself?

Many thanks!

DanO
Old 03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Fuel line was done at Amazon Hose here in Tampa ~$200 which is much better than the factory.

Powdercoat on the intake - and fan and a few other pieces...
Old 03-21-2006, 01:52 PM
gerry100
Pro

I'd just disconnect the whole cruise assembly and tuck the cable out of the way ( clips for the sound pad work well, make sure it's secure).

Never used mine and haven't missed it.

Price is right.

Quick Reply: What is this throttle part?