Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil not circulating on a 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006 | 10:51 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

Default Oil not circulating on a 3.2

I don't seem to be getting oil up to the oil cooler in the front (lines aren't warm to the touch). Yes, I have some tire shop damage to the lines, but nothing that appears to be completely blocking them. Dip stick reads full. Anything else that would inhibit flow?
Old 03-19-2006 | 01:18 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

I've got the same problem. My car gets too hot also after about 40 mins run time. I've rebuilt the thermostat w/parts from Pelican but haven't had the chance to run the car yet to find out if oil will now circulate up front.
Old 03-19-2006 | 03:37 AM
KCPSG
Rennlist Member

My 1st guess would be to check the oil thermostat.
Old 03-19-2006 | 10:10 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

You don't say if your engine is getting hot? Are you getting a high oil temperature? It could be the thermostat is not opening because the oil is not hot enough to require extra cooling - otherwise it sounds like a check the lines for damage (squeezed off) and/or rebuild the thermostat.

PJC
Old 03-19-2006 | 12:33 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Check those crushed oil lines again. You'd be surprised how little of a dent (crush) affects movement of the oil. However, you need to get the engine to operating temperature and make sure the Thermostat is working. When it is very hot, tap the thermostat with a small hammer or large screwdriver to see if it may be stuck. I'd bet the T-stat is bad or stuck closed.
Old 03-19-2006 | 01:47 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by pjc
You don't say if your engine is getting hot?
Car runs in the normal range (lower third of gauge). I didn't know there was a thermostat so I'll try to track that idea down. Thanks for the information.
Old 03-19-2006 | 03:38 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Oil thermostate does not open and send oil to cooler until 210 degrees. Takes my car about 30 minutes of running before the thermostate opens in the winter 30-40 degree temps.
Old 03-20-2006 | 01:16 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Corrales911, the T-stat is in the right rear wheel well in front of the tire. The oil cooler lines run to & from it.
Old 03-20-2006 | 02:29 PM
jet911
Pro

I would run the car until you reach operating temp., then check to see if the lines are warm. If the lines do not get warm it is most likely your t-stat. If it is your t-stat, I would suspect that the temp would rise past the mid point on your gauge. If the lines do get hot and the temp stays above the mid point on your gauge, I suspect the crushed oil lines will need replacing as not enough circulation is happening to run the oil through the cooler. Late last fall, Discount tires crushed my lines. I caught the problem and now have two new lines at their expense. I was lucky...

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2006 | 04:55 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by jet911
If the lines do get hot and the temp stays above the mid point on your gauge, I suspect the crushed oil lines will need replacing as not enough circulation is happening to run the oil through the cooler. Late last fall, Discount tires crushed my lines. I caught the problem and now have two new lines at their expense.
I've come to the conclusion that the ambient air temp right now is just too low to get the engine that warm; oil lines to the T-stat housing get just barely warm to the touch after 30 minutes running.

Don't get me started on Discount Tire. When I last had the car there for a rebalance I made a big point of pointing out the oil lines, even having a warning to avoid them written on the work order. Of course the droid behind the counter gave me all kinds of attitude about how they knew what they were doing, blah, blah. So when I pick the car up I find that whoever raised the car avoided the lines by using the sheetmetal of the rocker panels as lift points, denting the hell out of them. Since I had no proof this wasn't "existing" damage I was SOL.
Old 03-21-2006 | 09:29 PM
jet911
Pro

Corrales911:
That's too bad. The guy didn't even question me as the lines had the shinny scratches around the crushed area. He just told me to get a bid. Their insurance company cut me a check three days later ($1,200.00 parts and labor). I was lucky. Going forward I'll take the tires off and haul them down. I will never have anyone other than a P-car mechanic jack up my car again...
Old 03-21-2006 | 11:58 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

Originally Posted by jet911
Going forward I'll take the tires off and haul them down. I will never have anyone other than a P-car mechanic jack up my car again...
I hear that.

FWIW, we had the first semi-warm day here in a while and the thermostate seems to be opening as the tubes forward of the T-stat housing are warm. Thanks to all that provided input.

Quick Reply: Oil not circulating on a 3.2