Advice on 86-89 targa for someone who has 993's

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 86-89 targa for someone who has 993's

hi guys.
I have a 993TT (which i love and will keep) and am considering getting a 911 targa (late 80s) for more backroads driving (the TT is way too fast and heavy for nyc and CT small towns). I want to feel the car work a bit and be lighter. I have also had a 993c2 before the TT and loved it.

What should a nice targa cost? Hard to find? I dont want a concours car, but a clean one b/c im not able to DIY. Im looking for colors that are non-black/white/red.

Also, what mods do i want it to have? Im familar with all 993 mods, but not older 911 mods. I might do a few DE events with it (to save the tt from a bad day), but not racing.

thanks for the help. I welcome any feedback from esp people who have driven 993's as well.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Targa's were plentiful during these years, so it should not be too hard to find them. Your year range of 1986 to 1989 covers two different transmission types. The 1986 model year used the 915 transmission. '87 to '89 used the G-50 transmission. The G-50 transmission has a hydraulic clutch and is slightly easier to shift than the 915, however the G-50 tranny is slightly heavier. Your transmission is a decendent of this 'box. Many buyers prefer the G-50 equiped cars, so the 1986 models tend to be priced a bit lower than a comparable 1987 car with the G-50.

Targa's can bring slightly less than a coupe and definitely less than a cabrio of the same vintage. Driver quality cars that are mechanically sound but have some miles under their belts can range from $15k for the early 3.2 cars to the lower $20k range for the later G-50 cars. For $20k, you should be able to pick up a very nice '86 Targa with mid mileage or a decent G-50 car with mid to upper mileage. Even G-50 cars with over 100,000 miles in nice shape can still get into the upper teens for pricing.

3.2's in the $10-13k range tend to have very high miles and/or have issues that will require a decent amount of money to correct.

Color can affect pricing in some instances, but many people buy on condition. Obviously the red/black/silver cars appeal to many people, so their pricing tends to not be affected by color. Guards Red was very popular in the '80's (the equivalent of today's silver/gray popularity), so get ready to see a lot of that color in your search. Some of the more odd colors can have a slightly negative effect on pricing. However, it's very rare to come across a Guards Red over black Targa for sale along side an Crystal Green Metallic over tan Targa with similar miles in similar condition with similar options in the same geographical location to compare how each one would be priced and what each one would actually be sold for. I guess what I'm saying is that condition is really selling these cars now since they are getting older.

I would suggest just learning any car you get for DE in bone stock condition first. These cars handle exceptionally well (if in good mechanical condition) right out of the box.

Typical mods are adding a front strut brace, torsion bar upgrades, brake upgrade, shock upgrades (going from Boge to Bilstein for example), DME chip upgrades, some exhaust upgrades, etc. More extreme modifications can include changing the torsion bar suspension to coil overs, etc. There are many more people on this board much more qualified to speak about track/DE mods than myself. Hopefully they will add their knowledge to this thread.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964

Last edited by Jay H; 03-15-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:37 PM
pgrunwald
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,

I bought mine 2 years ago for $15K. When I bought it, it had 54K miles (now 66k) . The carfax was clean and was a three owner car. The color is unique as it is a Porsche "Special Wishes" car and has a custom paint code. The car had 16" wheels and I got the original 15" set with track tires as well.

The car was a 7.5 out of 10 for mostly cosmetic reasons. Mechanically it is very good. Compression was 145-150 all the way around, I didn't do a leakdown. It uses no oil. The car has weltmiester sway bars front and back and brake sensors were removed. There is also a weltmeister tower strut bar installed as well. Everything works on the car though the A/C is weak but I don't know how good it should be - hell, it's a targa, what do you need A/C for...?

The targa top was shot when I got it. I spent $900 on the vinyl and seals and I repainted the targa bar myself as well as the wheels. There a a couple of door dings but the paint is good. The carpet has been replaced but the seats are good, it is a Navy interior. It was not an abused car, just mildly neglected.

I have spent another $2500 in the last two years on tires, brakes (slotted rotors, PF97 pads, caliper rebuilds, stainless lines), valve adj., oil pressure sender, hard lines, oil return tube seals, bent swaybar, stereo and speakers, and misc. little stuff like interior lites, brake switches, and other stuff that a 19 year old car needs for TLC. I did the brakes, oil tubes, brake switches, oil changes, etc. and I have a great mechanic who is in the PCA and has been very generous with me for the stuff that I didn't feel comfortable doing. I also have spent $400 on tools and that is fun in itself (yea craftsman club!!!)

It is not a gragage queen as I have have done 5-6 autocrosses and driver schools. I feel that I got a very good deal, not a total steal, but a good deal for a car that is still much faster than my ability to drive it. I get constant complements on the color/car and the wife likes the Targa and PCA driveouts, etc.

For my first Porsche it is perfect and I would recommend a G-50 Targa as one of the best choices for all around touring at a resonable cost. I looked for a year and this one a lucky find. It was on eBay but didn't sell and it was local car. I think that I could sell the car for $20-25K, I wouldn't take any less but I don't plan to sell in the near future. I would love a 993 but I'm not sure I would get $20-40K more enjoyment than what I have now.

I feel that I got a car in the sweet spot of price, depreciation/appreciation curve, performance, maintenance cost, and enjoyment!

HTH,
Paul
--------------------
'87 Targa
Attached Images  

Last edited by pgrunwald; 03-15-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prices on the G-50 carreras have been holding steady over the past 5 years. I have seen very low mileage "concourse condition" G-50 carreras go for $32K. A nice Targa with low miles (around 50K) that has been fanatically maintained w/records original tool kit etc. would be in the $26-28K range. Prices go down from there based on how picky you are about mileage and condition.

Open ai cars are great. There's not much better than a Targa for driving around on a warm day or summer night. They were built on their own platform and are much stiffer than a convertible. Not to mention that the top is easier to maintain and they are better lookng

Quick Reply: Advice on 86-89 targa for someone who has 993's