Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best colour scheme on a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM
mrd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Best colour scheme on a Porsche

I am thinking of respraying my silver metallic Carrera Targa and I am looking at options.

It is 29 years old and needs tidying - would you keep original colour or should I use the opportunity to go for a wild colour, I love some of the older greens and tangerine types (would love to colour code my 7 + 9 Fuchs and have Carrera decals)

Has anyone any suggestions, preferably with images of their favourite combo.
(my car has a Turbo tail, standard Carrera flares and polished Fuchs with black gloss centres)

Thanks

Damien
Old 03-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i love some of the bright jellybean blue colors .. either gulf blue, mexico blue, or riveria blue or the Ferrari bluey-silver (not sure the name, but its available on the F360).
Also you can then do the interior in a red or burgundy and it looks very european and classic.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my continental orange 78 SC with lobster interior (obviously one of my favorite colors since it's mine).

This is my favorite color, royal blue (aka arrow blue). I wanted a 911 in this color but couldn't fine one when I was shopping.

I'm a big fan of the early non-metallic colors.

If you will sell the car anytime soon, keep it the original color for resale value. If you are picky, keep it the original color because there are likely many places where the old color will still show and be annoying to you. If you will have the job done right, and I mean having the car completely stripped down and the luggage compartment, engine compartment, and door jambs all painted correctly, then you'll be OK.

If the car is for fun, and you really don't care about certain things, go for it. Do something interesting and exciting. Silver is boring. Viper green is also a great color.

Here's a sweet gallery of early 911's. Lots of great colors from those years:
http://www.early911s.com/gallery_cars_m.php

Brett

Last edited by Brett San Diego; 03-16-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
mrd
Intermediate

Brett

Its funny you should mention viper green as the new Ruf 997 on the front of GT magazine has been covered in viper green film and I was just thinking it looks good. Your car is just the shade I was considering but I would leave my interior as it is immaculate, original and black and will match anything. The blue looks fantastic especially with the turbo flares, now where did I leave that credit card.....?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Signal orange was an original mid-year Carrera color. Signal orange is close to my car, but not exactly the same. So that would give you an "original color" leg to stand on (if using original Porsche colors is a concern). Color names may be different in the UK, now that I think of it.

Here is an original 1974 Carrera in signal orange.

Here is an original 1973 RS with cool green Carrera trim and wheels.

These pics are from last year's PCA San Diego concours.

Good luck with your decision,
Brett
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
mrd
Intermediate

That orange with the Carrera decals but with coloured Fuchs is one of my preferred options - I could paint it any colour and I would still love it
Old 03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

I've always been partial to black/black.
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2006, 09:12 PM
mrd
Intermediate

My mechanic wants to spray it black and I love the look as well but I think for a car used daily that is nearly 30 years old it may not be too practical

Damien
Old 03-15-2006, 09:53 PM
senna21
Racer

Orange, 100%
Old 03-15-2006, 10:47 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

About the black, the pic I posted is of the one I just bought. Other than driver and passenger doors, the paint is original (21 years old). Some stone chips on the front that have been touched up and of course on the trailing left rear fender well edge.

By the way, I saw an SC once that had a "mud flap" installed there that prevented the chipping and kept the stones and dirt out of the well. It was not really a mud flap - very discreet but got the job done. Anybody know where to buy one?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Orange with orange wheel centers would look great, IMO. My wheels will be staying stock (or maybe polished paddles), but I thought briefly about painting them orange. If you want to maintain the original Carrera look, maybe try white with orange Carrera decals and orange wheel centers (like the white/green 73 RS). Or black with orange Carrera decals and orange wheels. I've seen black Carreras with tan (or maybe gold) graphics. Photoshop would be really useful here, but I don't have it.

Brett
Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Originally Posted by bmcallister
About the black, the pic I posted is of the one I just bought. Other than driver and passenger doors, the paint is original (21 years old). Some stone chips on the front that have been touched up and of course on the trailing left rear fender well edge.

By the way, I saw an SC once that had a "mud flap" installed there that prevented the chipping and kept the stones and dirt out of the well. It was not really a mud flap - very discreet but got the job done. Anybody know where to buy one?
i had some on my car, and hated them. they didnt work that great unless they stuck out a bit more and then just looked out of place
Old 03-16-2006, 06:17 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Originally Posted by mrd
I am thinking of respraying my silver metallic Carrera Targa and I am looking at options.

It is 29 years old and needs tidying
May I suggest Signal Yellow (scroll down to the 993!); original Porsche color #114 from 1968-72... ok wrong year for your car but nonetheless a striking and beautiful color.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:21 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

personally i think those colors look best on the pre-74 cars.....but as one of you guys said, it depends on what you want out of the car and what you use it for.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Well, as my picture shows, Viper Green is what I have. I do love it now. But, let me tell you, I HATED it when I bought the car. Well, not really hated it. But, it was not one of my favorites. However, the condition of the car was unbelievable. It had sat in a barn, a real barn, down a dirt road, for 10 years, with original everything, including all original factory paint. So, I decided to take it for the condition, not the color. I'm glad I did. Like I said, the color grew on me and then now I love it. No offense to the more standard black or red car owners. But, there are so many like that, I kind of like being different. That said, I was once told that on the 356s, the factory would pick the best bodies to paint black, since the flaws in the body show up more with black. I don't know if it's true, and don't know if it carried over to any other Porsches. But, at one time, there was an image that they were the better bodies from Porsche.

Quick Reply: Best colour scheme on a Porsche