Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Leaky 84 Targa roof

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 12:47 AM
R Robinson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Leaky 84 Targa roof

There has got to be a way to stop the drip, drip, drip of the targa roof in a rain. If we can put men in space must know how to stop a simple leak. The seals I have found are sold by Pelicanparts. They put them forth as designed for the car.

The leaking comes mainly from the front left and right near the pillars. On the left it runs down between the driver side front pillar and the seal where it lands onto the dashboard and onto the headlamp ****. Rain drips into the map pockets on both sides. This can not be good for the interior. The Targa top is separating along the front. The top's exterior is in excellent shape.

Ideas?

Thanks Glenn for your advice.

reg
Richmond, Va.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:41 AM
davis911s
Instructor

Glen how old are your seals? I also have a targa and from what I hear they are almost impossible to stop the leaks copmpletely

If your seals are really old replace them, especially the sides( they sound the worst) also get ahold of Dan Petchel in NJ, he advertises in Excellence and has a web site www.carsinc.com I believe, he is the Traga guru.

Shawn
Old 07-26-2001, 08:56 PM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What?? Your Targa leaks!!
You must be kidding
Old 07-26-2001, 09:14 PM
R Robinson
Intermediate

Originally posted by davis911s:
<STRONG>Glen how old are your seals? I also have a targa and from what I hear they are almost impossible to stop the leaks copmpletely

If your seals are really old replace them, especially the sides( they sound the worst) also get ahold of Dan Petchel in NJ, he advertises in Excellence and has a web site www.carsinc.com I believe, he is the Traga guru.

Shawn</STRONG>
The car is an 84. I have had another Targa owner say never, never mess with the seals. Basically live with it since any replacement seals are not the same as the originals. I have heard of some expert in NJ. Perhaps he is the same guy. I'll check him out. I'm in Va.

Thanks for the advice.

I am sure mankind and Porsche combined can solve this mystery.

reg
Old 07-27-2001, 11:09 AM
Chuck Nilsen
Track Day

Thumbs up

I thought "Targa" translated to "Leaks like a collander"

Chuck
1980 911 SC Targa
(aka "the wet one"
Old 07-27-2001, 12:15 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the seals are shot, what are you supposed to do? live with them? start with new seals, they fit fine. it's not just a slap em in and you're done type of job. the vent frames and door glass may need to be adjusted up, down sideways, in or out. the same goes for the side targa top seals. even the windshield and rollbar seals can be shimmed if necc. the targa top itself, can be a problem if the front and rear sealing areas are warped from folding. it's a time consuming job, and still, no shop in their right mind would guarantee a leakproof targa. the factory couldn't even do it.

Quick Reply: Leaky 84 Targa roof