Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car hoist question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 11:23 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car hoist question

I am restoring a 911, (currently on a rotisserie) and as I am replacing the floor pans I am considering welding in four, approx. 4in.x 4in. reinforced "lifting points". This may save the floor pans from being damaged/dented in the future on automotive lifts.

Can anyone give me guidance as to exactly where I should weld these for proper balance?
Old 04-13-2003, 04:00 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like a good idea.. but I didn't think it was that good.. you gotta watch anyone that gets close to your car if they aren't 911 mechanics.. I use Snap-On rubber lift arm spacers for tub protection.. better than 2x4.. they are about 8in X 4in X 3in.. I don't know how to post a pic here.. so if interested do an e-mail to RoninLB@optonline.net , and put Snap-On rubber in the subject, and I'll send them.. the rubber is on the lift arm, sitting below my 911 rear lift area.. I've been using them for a few years on my home lift.......Ron
Old 04-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Tim K
Advanced

Since you've already got the welder out maybe you could use a similar rear lifting point that the G50 cars came with?

Tim

p.s. Got any pictures of your rotisserie?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:47 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Tim,
I am unfamiliar with the reference to the G50?
Explain... or have photos?

I documented the building of my rotisserie in Dec. and submitted it to Wayne D. at the Pelican web site. When I last heard from him he said it would be added to their projects area soon. Check back there over the next few weeks to see it.

Sam
Old 04-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Tim K
Advanced

The G50 is the transmission that replaced the 915 in 1987. Porsche added lifting points to make it easier to put the 911 on a shop lift. I tried to find a Porsche part # but to no avail. The rear points are located directly under the cross tube. I suspect that Porsche may have used additional reinforcement. There is an okay picture on p.194 of Bruce Anderson's Performance Handbook.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Tim

Quick Reply: Car hoist question