Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Aluminum vs. steel brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 02:22 PM
ScottC
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Aluminum vs. steel brake calipers

Have a leaking front caliper and am ready to replace both. I know I can rebuild the existing caliper, but noticed that there are two types available for my '78 SC from Vertex. One is designated with an "S" for aluminum and the other is "A" for steel. I currently have steel calipers. First question is, can I upgrade from "A" to "S" without any fitting issues (i.e., will it bolt on without any problems)? And finally, does it make sense to pay more for aluminum? There's an unsprung weight argument in here somewhere, but is it really significant? I do driver's ed. and autocross. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Scott:

First,.....its very easy to bolt on the Aluminum "S" calipers in place of your iron "A" ones, but its considered a step backwards.

The aluminum calipers have FAR more flex that contributes to a soft brake pedal. The iron ones actually feel and stop the car a little better, due to more hydraulic effort being transferred to the caliper pistons, instead of trying to spread the caliper apart.

IMHO, the pedal feel and braking performance easily offset the slightly greater unsprung weight. Stick with the "A" ones.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:44 PM
ScottC
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks, Steve. Just the info I needed. It's appreciated.

Quick Reply: Aluminum vs. steel brake calipers