911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Confused about vent/ac settings.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 07:04 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Default Confused about vent/ac settings.

My 78 SC's owner's manual shows a diagram of the vent/defroster controls with 4 ***** (2 on top, 1 middle and 1 bottom). I have the factory a/c, but have only 3 ***** on the vent panel.

So what setting works if I want outside ait through the center vents without a/c?

Thanks.

Ulrich
Old 02-07-2006 | 08:04 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ulrichd
So what setting works if I want outside ait through the center vents without a/c?
None. If it's anything like an 87 . . . with factory air, fresh air only comes out of the defrost & the footwell area vents. Put the top ***** to the left (fan speed max) and the middle **** to direct it up/down (white triangles point the direction) or a mix in between. The bottom **** is for heat direction only. The dash vents are AC & heat on the outside ones.

Note: Non AC cars are different & the system is so confusing I might be wrong . . .

Ian
Old 02-07-2006 | 10:08 PM
racer
Drifting

On my non a/c '78 SC, I just open the vents on the dash and in comes the outside air.. mmmm refreshing. But then again, mine only has 3 controls.. fan speed, heat (that can go from feet to dashtop) and cool (that can go from feet to dashtop). Not sure if this will help you though...
Old 02-08-2006 | 11:55 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I think that Porsche designed these cars' Ventilation systems so that only a graduate in quantum physics could even come close to understanding it....levers, pulleys, *****, all scattered everywhere....at least my cab has seat heaters so that I can drive it in the wintertime...those things REALLY get hot!
Old 02-09-2006 | 04:27 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I've had my '84 since April or May and haven't figured it out yet... I've read the manual, done everything... I have no idea how to make the thing work. I love the car, but boy do they have controls scattered all over the place!
Old 02-09-2006 | 05:47 PM
nineoneone
Rennlist Member

On the dash...... top two horz. sliders go like this..
one on left opens outside air dampers (period)
The one on right is for (yes) fan speed the fans in the footwells only!!!!
two sliders below are for direction of air... footwell or defrost
the two pulls between the seats are for the actual heat from engine one on passenger side does passenger side heat....
and drive side is drivers side.
As soon as you move these ***** the top fan in your engine compartment should come on and moving warm air to the cabin and then the dash controls take over........ move the between the seat **** up and down to control temp. the dash fan will operate the air.

The switch on the center console between the seats(on top of the heater *****) Does nothing!!!!!

lol, I think!

p.s. The a/c only operates in the middle vents.
Old 02-09-2006 | 05:59 PM
bourgeois911
Instructor

I've only figured out how to roll down the windows and hit the go pedal, that usually gets some air moving in the cabin.
Old 02-09-2006 | 06:43 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

I worked out this with a couple of Pelicans. See this link for AutoHeat info. General system info etc. Slanted towards Carreras.

Ian
Old 02-10-2006 | 05:15 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

There was a post in OT with a picture of the best concert ever... I have to say... that's the best picture i've ever seen.... I've got to print that out and put it in my glovebox!
Old 02-16-2006 | 12:28 PM
sslandry
Intermediate

I'm still confused, My Auto heat dial on my 89 aniv coupe only goes to "3". The manual says it goes to "9" like the above picture indicates. What gives?
Scott
Old 02-16-2006 | 12:46 PM
My87Targa
Racer

mine only goes to three too, but oh well. it took me months to figure it all out but its very simple now.

top row has two *****, right **** is fan speed second **** is freash air, keep right **** on off position and slide left **** up butted aginst right **** to get a little fresh air in, from there just slide the right fan speed **** over to the right more and more for greater fan speed, and as more supply of fresh air is desired, slide the left **** along with it.

next row down i think is whaty controlls the direction in which you want the fresh air to go slide to the right its coming out the defrost vents on top of dash, then slide to the far left and it comes out and blows on your feet. keep in the middel or move around for desired adjustable mix of top or bottom feed.

third row the heat supply, or direction of heat supply. works the same as the 2nd row. to have greater heat out of just those ***** cut off the fresh air supply but keep the fresh air fan speed up and it will blow just heat.

as for the **** inbetween the seats mines been broke for some time now, i need to get a new one

well thats my view on how it works if you couldnt get it from the pic
Old 02-16-2006 | 02:04 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Awesome pic/diagram. Thanks Ian!

Quick Reply: Confused about vent/ac settings.