Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Metal dust on the drainplug,normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 10:37 PM
K.P.T.
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Metal dust on the drainplug,normal ?

My 1980sc with 162,000 miles will have a very small amount of metal dust on the magnetic drainplug. You can`t feel it when it is rubbed between your fingers but a magnet attracts it. It is very dark in color. I change my oil about every 3,000- 5,000 miles It does not seem normal to me but have heard otherwise, what is up?
K.P.T.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:22 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe it or not, your motor is wearing out every time you run it. You are seeing some evidence of that wear on the magnetic drain plug. If you cut open the oil filter, and pulled the pleats apart, you would probably find even more metal debris. You can't stop wear entirely, so why not just quit worrying and go for a drive?
Old 07-25-2001, 01:30 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
To answer your question...YES, this is VERY normal - the previous thread is correct in saying that you put wear on your engine every time you start it...you will find the same evidence on your trans. drain plug if it is magnetic as well. There is a reason for that magnetic drain plug!

Don't sweat it, if you're not going through oil like crazy in your engine...you're likely doing just fine...drive it like you stole it baby!

Quick Reply: Metal dust on the drainplug,normal ?