Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87-89 911 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 01:39 PM
Atlmike
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 87-89 911 as daily driver?

Hello All. I am considering purchasing a late 80's 911 sometime in the next six months. I haven't settled on body style (Coupe, Targa, Cabrio), but I will be using this car as my only form of transportation. I've owned a few sports cars (MR2, Miata) so I am used to harsh riding vehicles. Can any of you folks using 87-89 911's as daily drivers tell me a little about your experience with your cars, such as problems, maintenance, etc. I'm in the research phase of this project, and any info you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Smith
Old 07-18-2001, 02:46 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Mike,

I don't have first hand experience, but a friend has been using his '89 Carrera Coupe as his only car for more than 3 years now. He has ~135k miles on the car.

His car had a top end rebuilt soon right after he bought it and some minor improvements made at the same time. So far, he still very happy with it and drives it everyday.

Good luck,

Sonny Vo
Old 07-18-2001, 03:10 PM
MTodd
Track Day

I drive my 88' everyday. It works out well for me as I only have a 10 mile commute. I don't know how eager I would be to use it as a daily driver in 45 minutes of stop and go traffic.

Having a later model with the larger air vents helps out if you live in a hot climate.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

I have -72 Coupe (to me, no doubt, the best body style!). No it sits in Finland because I live here (Miami) and get to drive it only few times/year but when I lived in Finland, I used it as my daily transport to work & back (only during summer) and had no problems with it! So I think if you have solid 87-89 911 you should be just fine! Of course if you have to sit on the traffic all the time, it will be pain and maybe little hard for the car also, but otherwise I'm sure it's ok.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:53 PM
R22tech
Advanced

Hi Mike. I think you might be barking up the wrong tree here in Atlanta. Yes, the 87-89 911 is a very reliable car. But it is very hot here in the summer and if you are stuck on 400 or 285 every day, then the car will be hot and so will you! The a/c systems are not the greatest. I have a 1985 Targa, same as the 87-89 minus the clutch/shifter, that is in concours condition, 44,000 miles. I would be happy to let you drive it and help you find a good one if you are interested. I am in Roswell- e-mail ndmartin@bellsouth.net

or you can just ask me questions and I'll be happy to answer.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:18 PM
addictionms
Instructor

I too have an 1988 as a daily driver, 170K miles, R22tech has a really good point, I live in California, and we don't have really hot muggy days often, but when we do, I pull out the 996 with full A/C. I really can't see driving the 88 those days. I have actually removed the A/C from my 88, lots of dead weight since it never "really" worked.

Since you are in the research phase, don't use you A/C for a month and see how you fair.

As far as reliability, they are very strong. I have about a 30 mile commute on single lane twisty roads (yes I have to go out of my way to use these roads but it is worth it) and driving my 88 is the highlight of the day.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:24 PM
Carrera Steve
Intermediate

Lightbulb

Hi Mike:
One thing you might consider is the typical expected commute distance. Carrera's hold alot of oil, and that takes time to warm up. Short drives are not the best for these cars, as the oil never really gets to warm up before you shut them down again. Even in a warm climate, I imagine it still takes a few miles to get 13.5 qts of oil up to operating temperature.

Best of luck in your search!

Steve
Old 07-19-2001, 08:43 AM
Joe Abrahamson
Intermediate

Mike,

I have an 85 Targa that I drive daily, year around. R22 is correct that the early model 911's are not very good in the a/c department but the thought of buying and driving some jap sh*t box just for good a/c does not excite me very much.

Here in Dallas its not much different from Atlanta in the summer, hotter than hell and humid to boot, you just put up with it for three months out of the year.

The car has been totally reliable and never stranded me. Always puts a smile on my face when I drive it, something I cannot say about more "civilized" cars that the rest of the masses drive. If I had it to do over again I would get one in the 88-89 years for the upgraded vents and such but am still happy with my 85.

Just my 2c worth...

Joe
Old 07-19-2001, 09:49 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Since the AC seems to be a concern in most of the previous posts, let me add that there is no reason to assume you have to live with the factory AC - it can be upgraded.

The major problem most people experience with the factory unit is loss of the refrigerant over time. Poor attention to the hoses and connections allows leaks to develop and the cooling capacity slowly declines. Most Porsche owners find they have to recharge every year or two.

Furthermore, the compressor offered by the factory is probably too small for very hot climates. There are larger and more efficient models available that can improve performance markedly.

You might give Hancock Industries a call - they are experts and they have experience with Porsches: A/C

With an upgraded AC, the 87-89 Carrera can be a great daily driver - even in hot climates.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:47 AM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
I have never driven a MR2 and only one Miata. I think a 911 is far more "harsh". It is also more fun.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:07 AM
carnut169
Advanced

Thumbs up

Mike- I have read the replies to your question, and frankly, don't understand them. I live in Atlanta (Sandy Springs to be exact), and commute in my 87 Cab everyday 26 miles (each way). I work down past the airport. I used to have an 86 w/o heat or a/c- I sold it and regretted it everyday until I got another one. My current car has ice cold a/c stock. It has no trouble keeping the car chilly on the hottest days if that is what I want. The heater will melt your shoes if you let it. The ride is not harsh at all! People that say the ride is harsh need new shocks or don't own a 911... it rides great. Of course, it is not a caddy, but you can drink your hot coffee w/o any problems and when I go to Florida my back does not hurt at the end of a 6+ hour trip. If you are at all like me, buy a 911. It offers the best of all worlds- style, comfort, reliability, and performance! You really can't go wrong (get a PPI) if you hate it, it won't lose resale value like most cars.
No offence guys, Mike- ignore those posts about the a/c and the ride- the 87-89 911s are as modern as you need to get and are fantastic cars. Get one.
Should you decide to go forward I would be happy to refer you to a great mechanic for a PPI. Sean.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:10 PM
eskimo
AutoX

Exclamation

Hi there Mike.
I have an 88 targa that I used to use as a daily driver.. For the first year, I loved it. The second year, I started lusting after vw golfs. (It doesn't help that my wife drives one, so I would taste the good life occasionally)
I started lusting for stereo I could hear if I wanted, a climate control that besides making sense, worked..

Before the year of single car for me, I drove the targa and also had a 76 bug. With the bug, I didn't have these lusts, so I started to think of it more..

I think the best way I can describe it is.. Eating chocolate for dinner. After a while, all you want is just simple top ramen.
So, this year I went out and bought a vw golf.. an old one, and I drive that every few days. In the winter, and on super hot days, I drive it. It has no drama and no soul, it is just what I need to offset the targa.

By the way, I'm 26. I'm still very use to driving crummy cars.

I hope this helps. So, yes. you can use the car as a daily driver, but most likely, you wouldn't want to.
Besides, with maintenance, mine seems to be out of commission for about 2 weeks out of the year. AND, more miles means more maintenance, which adds up. quick. I spend about $3 grand a year just for repairs. I bet if you polled the other rennlisters, you'd find similar dollar amounts.

**I should probably add that I live in Colorado and some Seattle, so with the 90+ degree days and the snow and rain, I've had to drive my car through more "less than desirable" conditions everyday.null
Old 07-20-2001, 12:09 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mike,

I own an '87 Carrera (sunroof)Coupe which I have driven just about every day (not in snow) since October 15, 1986. My office is less than 10 miles from my house. I had the engine (top & bottom) done at approx. 95,000 miles (valve guides went) and that has been the only expensive repair over the last 15 years.

I have spent some $$ on upgrades, (SSI, Dansk muffler, K&N filter, performance chip, sport shocks, turbo tie-rods, 930S steering wheel, full leather sport seats, HD clutch, stainless brake lines, etc.), not out of necessity, but because I wanted to do these enhancements.

The car has been well cared for and has held up very well. The paint and rubber are still excellent (I did replace the rubber lip on the Carrera tail just this year). At 109,250 miles the car is faster than new and eveything still works, except the A/C which NEVER really worked very well and which I have left disconnected for over 5 years now.

I think that you will be well-pleased with an '87-'89 Carrera as an every day driver. Just make sure that you get a well maintained example. There are plenty of good cars out there. Expect to spend between $22,500 - $28,500 for a good car (these cars have been holding their value well, especially since Porsche stopped making the oil/air-cooled cars. You can check out Bruce Anderson's valuation articles in Excellence magazine).

In the unlikely event of snowfall in Georgia, stay home or take the bus. With the right tires the Porsche can handle the weather, but some other driver could wreck your beautiful Porsche under inclement conditions.

Targas leak. A "cab" might be nice for your climate. I prefer the classic line of the coupe, always have. Have a pre-purchase inspection performed by a knowledgeable Porsche shop. If you don't know of one check with your PCA (Porsche Club of America) local region. If you don't know your region, check you can find it on the PCA web site (www.pca.org).

Good luck!

Richard.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:17 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is my take on the ac thing. My 911 is fully stripped so it doesan't count. But just yesterday I drove my sister's 84 targa for a while in 105 degree Arizona heat. Me and her were fine in the car. It wasn't ice cold in the car, but a hell of a lot better than the 105 outside. Of course she keeps the ac perfectly maintained, like everyone here in Phoenix. I have found that any temperature under 100 degrees is easily coped by my sister's 911. Over 105 is a different story because the lack of humidity does not aid in a good heat exchange with the condensers. In Southern muggy weather under 100, her 911 would have no problems since the ambient humidity helps the condensers work better. So it is all about how good the ac is in the car you look at. These things vary from car to car. The air in my wife's 300e for example is pretty good, while the air in my friends 300e of the same year is a freezer.

These cars can be expansive to repair at times, but they are damn tough. I haven't owned a tougher car yet. Also, I find that maybe it is a good thing that they aren't dirt cheap to repair. If they were, everybody would own one. Who would want that? Other than that, depreciation isn't something 911's are known for.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:47 AM
R22tech
Advanced

Ed- it is the complete opposite of what you said. It is much harder to cool a car in hot/humid weather than it is in hot/dry weather. I won't get into details, but 90 degree Atlanta heat is much more of a challange for your a/c than 100 degree Arizona heat. I am an HVAC professional, and my 911 a/c works better than most peoples'. Since the original poster, Atlmike, lives about 10 minutes from me I have a good idea of what he will be dealing with as far as the commute. The real fact is that a 911 IS capable of being a daily driver in the southern climates, but most 911s have a/c problems and the porsche mechanics don't seem to know how to really fix them. Also, most porsche owners don't care about the a/c or don't want to spend the money it would take to make the a/c work correctly. Furthermore, if you are sitting in traffic at idle the a/c system is basically useless on a 911. These cars require above 2,500 rpm and movement to cool properly. So how are you going to feel in your suit and tie, stuck on route 400, in 90+ degree weather, with an a/c system that is not designed to handle this? Not me! I'll keep my Dodge Ram for the commute.

Quick Reply: 87-89 911 as daily driver?