Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

remove the cat from a 3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 05:00 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remove the cat from a 3.2?

I've joined the forum as of 5 minutes ago, and I've already got a question. I've just become aware that the county I live in will no longer do annual emissions testing on cars over 25 yrs old. So, this now allows me to remove the catalytic converter from my 84 3.2 Carrera? Can someone enlighten me as to the improved performance this will give, if any?

Also, what about an air filter kit and/or a chip....
Thanks in advance to all
Old 02-05-2006, 05:43 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

little

chip - yes if you get the right one and have the right fuel and esp. if you do the right things to the engine

forget wasting $$ on an air filter. For more fun noises, cut holes in the air box - no hp there either.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Highly unlikely you'll get anything from removing the cat but increased noise. Same goes with a different air filter. Like Randy said, if you get the right chip it can help make it drive better, but it's not going increase the HP much, if at all.

There's very little you can do to improve the 3.2 engine without spending BIG bucks.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:04 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

You can get a noticible improvement from a euro or premuffer in place of the cat, a sport muffler and a chip from www.911chips.com...
Old 02-05-2006, 10:54 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.fabspeed.com/911sc.html scroll down you'll see the Euro Premuffler or try a Goggle search "3.2 premuffler" I had one on my '87 Carrera seemed to have a little more punch (seemed ) and a little better exhaust note. I never had any problem passing emissions either.

Good Luck!!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

where exactly did you hit the cat and how fast were you going. just grab it by the tail and pull...... doh!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:46 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Be careful about believing the claims of sellers as to what will gian hp an dhow much that gain will be. To get some more power work with a good race & high-perf. shop, such as Steve Weiner. Don't expect to get hp for the sale price of $20/hp either.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

I pulled the cat off my 3.2. I did not notice any performance gains. I did notice the exhaust is now really stinky. My garage smells for quite a while after I park the car. Truthfully, I plan on replacing the converter.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:13 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Carrera
I pulled the cat off my 3.2. I did not notice any performance gains. I did notice the exhaust is now really stinky. My garage smells for quite a while after I park the car. Truthfully, I plan on replacing the converter.
You probably have the beginnings of valve guide wear. It will gradually get worse but I predict a top end overhaul is in your future.

On subject - either do the exhaust and chip as a combo or not at all. Also check that your WOT switch is being activated - many are not on the 3.2 carreras. Throttle adjustment is on the driver's side of the transmission.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:28 AM
lostinatl
Instructor

I did it on my 84 and it made a little difference. I like the sound better. Do not notice an difference in smell? My next step is either the exhaust or SSI's. I think if you remove the cat and do a good muffler (less flow) you would notice the change. Oh, and less weight, I am now using my cat for a boat anchor.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:36 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

You have to replace the chip at the same time you remove the cat, otherwise it will probably lose HP, plus you'll get all kinds of backfiring since your mapping is now all wrong. Replacing the Cat w/ a premuffler and a new chip has created a documented HP increase. You will gain a little more by going with SSI heatexchangers, and again you must also change the chip. This has been documented by bruce anderson and other over and over again, and I can't believe this debate is still on going. The power you get is not earth shattering, and it won't suddenly seem like you just bought a 930, because you didn't, but it will give a little more.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:09 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

thanks again everyone for all the advice, think i'll stay stock for now....
Old 02-07-2006, 01:13 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Have an 84 with the Weltmeister chip (still, plans to go with a Steve W chip).

If your cat is original, chances are a 20+ yo cat is at least partially blocked, and opening it up MAY yield an improvement IF that's a problem with your car. I dyno'd mine w/ 50k on her (45k valve adjustment), WM chip & oe stock exhaust & got 204 to the wheels. I bought a Fabspeed Euro Premuffler, a Fabspeed muffler bypass, and a Bursch muffler all around the same time, along with a cone filter. I'd read that mostly these are expected to cost power, but I wanted to see for myself.

I went back to the dyno at closer to 60k from memory (have the info written down somewhere, 60k valve adjustment not yet done), and tried different intake & exhaust combos, keeping the Weltmeister chip that came with the car. I lost a little power, especially considering the improvements any / all of these products were supposed to offer. To give kudos to Fabspeed, I sent them the original dyno info, and they told me straight up BEFORE buying their products that there was a good chance I wouldn't notice a big improvement due to the good numbers I was already getting.

Personal opinions: the Bursch with its Dynomax muffler is a turd - poor build quality, not great sound either, and the cool black paint baked right off on its first voyage. The cone filter from eBay was a waste of time, unless you have a modified engine. I still have the Fabspeed pieces (pre-muffler & muffler bypass dump pipe) on the car, and I drive it on the street, albeit with a light foot or clutch in passing the Super Troopers. I love the tone, wish the dbs were dropped about 10 or so, it's JUST over the edge, especially with the drop-top - the video on their site seems a bit tamer than real life in my particular case (had a rodder at a car show tell me my car was a little loud... "yep!"). The Fabspeed pieces sure are pretty, nice welds, etc - only complaint I had was the copper gaskets had mis-located mounting holes on my set, which needed to be opened a little to allow bolt-up. I'll continue the search for the "right" muffler this summer hopefully, as funds allow. After staring at the Yellow Bird in Excellence, I've been daydreaming about the possibility of some RUF wheels. (insert evil grin & divorce papers here).

Anyway, I'll re-dyno after the valve adjustment I keep putting off as well, just to confirm the findings are / aren't affected by the valves.

As for the odor / smoke, the cat will mask this condition somewhat, and removing the cat will shine a light on an already existing problem from what I've read on here.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

By your title alone I was merely going to suggest another cat or those little kitty treats.

dan
Old 02-10-2006, 02:24 PM
chc
Track Day

Do you think an 84 with Dansk SS Sport exhaust (and SS Dansk Cat bypass) will pass the smog in California? Any help on HP?

Quick Reply: remove the cat from a 3.2?