Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC ride height

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:53 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC ride height

I talked to a guy selling a SC that seems to be very original. The car appears to be sitting about 3-4 inches high in the back. He says it was like that when he purchased it, has noticed it himself, and does not know why. The tires and wheels are the stock dimensions. Is this something that is adjustable? What are the potential reasons for this?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The rear is probably still stock, and looks funny because some unknowing soul lowered the front a bit (which is easy to do, while the rear is a project). Can you post a pic taken from the car's side?
Pete
Old 02-04-2006, 04:31 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

Here it is.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What the heck are the tire sizes - those rears do not look right! Of course, the super-clean wheel housings contribute to the way the car looks, but also the car does not look like it's sitting on a flat surface, which can be deceiving. Can you get a picture where the car is parked on a level driveway, or maybe in a parking lot? If so it would sure help. BTW, this car could be a real find.
Pete
Old 02-04-2006, 05:28 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

I asked and the guy said they were "stock," but then proceeded to say the "rears are 245..." so I don't think he really knows. He said he has had panels repainted one at a time (all of them except the hood!), so the paint does not match. He says it really needs to be stripped and repainted to look really good. Other issues are a crack in the dash in front of the passenger, firewall insulation coming off, and extra effort required to shift (shift linkage lubrication?). He does not seem to have a whole lot of mechanical knowlege of cars especially the SC, though he has owned it for 5 years...
Old 02-08-2006, 12:53 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Not right.

That setup is off, no doubt. There is a normal back to front rake with SC's but not a side to side rake; and this car looks like the tires are missing off the passenger side. Not only that, the rear ride height looks like the engine is not in the car.

There is adjustment in the front by turning adjustment bolts. The rear height is adjusted by rotating the plate on the torsion bar splines. My car has been lowered and the height to the top of the fender well is about 24.5" in the front and 24.75" in the rear if my memory is correct; its been awhile since I worked the suspension. Most stock setups are maybe an inch or so higher than this. This car looks like it's pushing 28" in the rear. Just as a reference, before I lowered my car, I could get three fingers between the top of the rear tires and the fender. Now I can barely fit 1 finger. I think my foot would fit over that rear tire.

With the cracked dash and non matching paint, I think I would continue looking.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Hell you could be wearing a snow boot and you could get it in their. I would be curious as to what is causing it though. I would like to see a picture on flat ground and have a measurement of all 4 fender lips from the gound.
Anyway this is not a car I would consider, or if it was .. I would paint inside the fenders black.

Quick Reply: SC ride height