911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RS America values

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012 | 03:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I strongly suggest a factory cup car(964) as Lewis states.
Old 01-19-2013 | 06:47 PM
Marc @ Red Line Service
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jay H
If I may, I'll correct Jack's post above just a bit. The 964 models were made from 1989 to 1994 in the US. 3.2 Carrera's and 964's overlapped in 1989 when the 964 C4 was made along side the outgoing Carrera 3.2 which was only built in 2 wheel drive.

Jack is correct in his assessment that it might be wise financially to buy a car that is already track prepared. You never get you money back out of mods when it's time to sell.

RS America's seem to be holding value or depreciating slower most likely to the lower build quantity and probably the more raw feel to the cars. They were essentially just stripped out C2's (as Jack mentions) for a base price of $59,995 ($5-10k less than a C2) and many sat on dealer lots unsold back then due to lack of demand. I always thought of the RS America as the "poor man's 911"... Plus, the 993 came out shortly there after for less money than a compareable 964.

I don't think RS America's are going to go up in value. Way too many built to command collector car prices. They are relatively rare, but there are always some for sale throughout the country at any given time. I agree with Jack again in that taking a very nice RS America and stripping it out and adding track gear and racing it will probably depreciate it more than just leaving it stock.

If you want a 964 series to race and don't want to buy or can't find a track prepped car, then finding a decent 964 C2 (or C4) and moding will probably have less overall depreciation in your 'investment'.

Good Luck and feel free to visit the 964 board for more specific 964 questions.

Jay
90 964
I know this thread has been going on a while, but I've got to disagree with Jay. Hey Jay, nothing more than a stripped 964? So was the 73 RS, yea it was a 2.7. Too many built to be collectable? 701 RSA's 1,560 73 RS's. I don't think an RSA will ever get to 73 RS #'s but they are more than twice as rare. My 2cents. By the way My RSA has 150,000 miles I'm a PCA instructor, run it to the rev limiter at about 5 or 6 track days a year and have never been inside the motor or trans. Awesome car!

Quick Reply: RS America values