Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RS America values

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 PM
kx5fast
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RS America values

Newbie on this board, hope for some help in inderstanding RS America values. I am a Ferrari owner, and one day at the track and I fell in love with the whole road race gig. I started looking at Ferrari Challenge cars, and a very nice Porsche collector suggested that I look to the RS America. The reasons were the following 1) I am still unlcear if I truly want to commit to racing full on (I used to race motocross profesionally back in the day, so I understand a little bit about the comittment) 2) I wanted a car that was streetable with perhaps some suspension mods and exhaust improvments, but no exotic "engine rebuild after 40 hours" cars and 3) I wanted a sought after car should I decide that it is not for me, there would be a ready market.

The owner of the Ferrari Challenge car reccomended the RS America, mostly due to the desireability. Bear in mind, I went down to buy his Ferrari from him (he loved the Ferrari but thought it was waaayyyy to expensive to campaign)and he was talking me into a Porsche, and he did not even have one for sale! Needless to say, I trusted his judgment.

I recently had the opportunity to do about 10 laps in the RS America at Thunderhill raceway in California, with a Formula Atlantic driver behind the wheel. My Gawd, was I impressed. The handling of the car was fabulous (they were dialing in a new JRZ suspension system on this particluar car the day I was there) and although the straightline speed was not overly impressive, it was no slouch by any stretch. I liked the car, felt comfortable driving it, and feel that should any maintenance be required (despite the renowned bullet proof motor) I felt it would be a better way to get my "toes wet" then jumping in with a full race car right out of the gate.

Any thoughts on the RS America, and in particluar, I am curious as to why they seem to hold their value so well, actually appearing to appreciate over time. Lmited Production (701) the only reason?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as well as values on these cars.

Thanks in advance

Rod
Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't see the guy's logic.

An RS America is a regular 964 (that's the 1989-1994 version of the 911) with some options and other components deleted. It had no power steering, rear seats, air conditioning or sunroof. It came with the otherwise-opional M030 suspension and the regular 247-hp 964 motor and gearbox. It had aluminium Cup wheels and a fixed rear spoiler. It was only about 150 pounds lighter than a normally-equipped 964.

The RS America wasn't made as a race model, per se. It didn't come with a cage, fire suppression system, fuel cell, or provisions for harnesses. Tracking -- or modifying so that you can track it -- hurts an RS America's value as a collectible. In terms of performance, it's pretty easy to build a regular 964 into something that's faster than an RS America for less than the premium you'd pay for an RS America.

If you're looking for a track car, then the regular 964 is a great place to start. But the smart thing to do from a financial point of view would be to buy one that's already been modified for track use. Chances are, the value of a car that's been converted for track use is going to remain fairly constant. Converting a street car for track use on your own dime is the most expensive way to go.

If you decide you like racing, then you can sell the track car when you decide what series you want to race in. Until then, just get a car that's got the basic track and safety mods done, and enjoy.

Edit: corrected dates

Last edited by JackOlsen; 02-01-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I may, I'll correct Jack's post above just a bit. The 964 models were made from 1989 to 1994 in the US. 3.2 Carrera's and 964's overlapped in 1989 when the 964 C4 was made along side the outgoing Carrera 3.2 which was only built in 2 wheel drive.

Jack is correct in his assessment that it might be wise financially to buy a car that is already track prepared. You never get you money back out of mods when it's time to sell.

RS America's seem to be holding value or depreciating slower most likely to the lower build quantity and probably the more raw feel to the cars. They were essentially just stripped out C2's (as Jack mentions) for a base price of $59,995 ($5-10k less than a C2) and many sat on dealer lots unsold back then due to lack of demand. I always thought of the RS America as the "poor man's 911"... Plus, the 993 came out shortly there after for less money than a compareable 964.

I don't think RS America's are going to go up in value. Way too many built to command collector car prices. They are relatively rare, but there are always some for sale throughout the country at any given time. I agree with Jack again in that taking a very nice RS America and stripping it out and adding track gear and racing it will probably depreciate it more than just leaving it stock.

If you want a 964 series to race and don't want to buy or can't find a track prepped car, then finding a decent 964 C2 (or C4) and moding will probably have less overall depreciation in your 'investment'.

Good Luck and feel free to visit the 964 board for more specific 964 questions.

Jay
90 964
Old 02-01-2006, 10:23 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Jack, I think you meant to say. "An RS America is a regular 964 (that's the 1989-1994 version of the 911)", not 1984-1989.

You could consider a 964 Cup car as a more race ready version of the 964. Take a look at http://www.carreracupusa.org/
Old 02-01-2006, 10:35 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Whoops. You're both right. I got my years wrong. 84-89 was the Carrera (and I guess the Club Sport model would be the comparable iteration to the RSA). 89-94 is the 964 era.

I'll fix it in the original post.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack's got one of dem ol' fashion 911's...so I can see why he'd forget the years of the newer cars...

Check out www.RSAmerica.net for some more info on these cars. There are cars for sale on this site as well and you can see what some of them are priced at.

Another option is to buy a track prepped RSA!

Jay
90 964
Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I think you'll find you can create a copy of an RSA and one thats even better for the track at a lower cost then buying a RSA by starting with a straight 964 C2 and making some mods. Better yet, as someone already mentioned you can find one with the mods you like for much less then an RSA which will be a better track/driver.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 PM
mark_uss
Racer

hello guys ..`i`m looking to buy a rs america in great condition..any hints? links pls
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.rsamerica.net/market/vehicles/index.htm
Old 06-16-2009, 09:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

try the 964 board as this generation would be more discussed there.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 PM
mark_uss
Racer

thanks.. i-m .looking at some cars on ebay but they look to good to be true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...7%7C240%3A1308

any advices on this a frend is going to see it ...

Last edited by mark_uss; 06-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Rod, the RSA makes a great track car as you have experienced. Their values have taken a hit as have most cars, which means you can get them for less than what you see on rsamerica.net.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckG
Jack, I think you meant to say. "An RS America is a regular 964 (that's the 1989-1994 version of the 911)", not 1984-1989.

You could consider a 964 Cup car as a more race ready version of the 964. Take a look at http://www.carreracupusa.org/
FWIW, I've owned/driven both.
(BTW, 94 RSAmericas have rear seats, 93's do not)

The RSAmerica is a great car, love the manual steering, one of the best OEM Porsche seats, etc. Tracked it for a year.

Bought a 92 Euro Carrera Cup.
First time out was the best time I ever had on track. Simply amazing the difference between a street car and a factory Cup car.

Cup cars are pretty much 'turn key' race cars, nothing really needs to be done.
As far as purposely modified track cars, it is always best to buy someone else's track car, since you will typically pay $0.35 on the dollar for the mods they have put into it.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:28 PM
D rsa
Advanced

Hi I own a 1994 RSA and it as no rear seats. Probably one of the first built in 1994.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:40 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing special about a RSA, although mine used to be a very good one.

Today, you would have no idea at all that mine used to be a stock RSA, I've even installed power steering.

Quick Reply: RS America values