Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air pump removal kit - help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:25 AM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air pump removal kit - help.

Advancing onto my 78SC with just the air injection plug kit, I was suddenly gripped with a sense that something bad was about to happen. The kit only comes with written instructions (all 6 lines of it) and I am kind of a visual guy.

Does anyone have pics of the steps involved. What does the air injector look like? It mentions spraying penetrating oil on it - is WD40 ok?

Any help is appreciated.

Ulrich
Old 01-31-2006, 11:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Ulrich

I considered doing mine but backed off. But i can tell you some info. The air pump and hardware is pretty self explanatory just unbolt it all along with the hardware. In fact mine is gone already. Now get on your back and wiggle under the rear of your car. You should see some piping about .5 inch OD running from the air pump under the car , up beside the heat exchangers into the engine. There should be one pipe split off into 6 , one for each cylinder. These are connected to the " air injectors" that screw into the engine. You need to remove all the piping and injectors.

PS the reason I backed off on mine was they are extremely coroded and looked like I could not get good acccess through the exchanger on the drivers side . On my car the PO had just crimped and sealed the pipe where all 6 join together. Looks like a bit of a hack job . I wanted to remove the pipe and put the plugs in but then thought I ran too much of a risk busting something. So the risk was just not worth it for me.
Maybe I will do this project while I am putting on my SSI heat exchangers and new muffler ...yeah right !..
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. So you just removed the belt and air pump hardware?

Ulrich
Old 01-31-2006, 12:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

it was done by the previous owner but that is exactly what he did. Ripped off the mounting hardware and pump. Then crimped and sealed the tube. I can send you a pic if you would like, just send me a email address.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Mike F
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 really good threads with lots of detailed pics on the 930 board. Search "air injection removal" in that board for them (they come up on top of the list). I am having trouble inserting the link for them into this reply for some reason. Slownrusty went to great lengths to take some up close pics. Well worth the read.

Quick Reply: Air pump removal kit - help.