Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC
View Poll Results: How do you jack up your 911?
lift it by the engine sump?
38.24%
Use side jack hole mounts?
61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Let's take a poll... how do you jack it up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's take a poll... how do you jack it up?

I don't want to beat up this topic but...

Sounds like a lot of owners feel differently about how they jack up their 911!

Do you...

1) lift it by the engine sump?
2) Use side jack hole mounts? With good, solid jack stand plate from aftermarket?
3) How do you lift up the front?
4) Does everyone use the torsion bar ends for the jack stands? On the front too?

Even the manuals differ in their opinion. This has got me almost psyched-out enough pay a mechanic to do the work.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:20 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Side jack ports with a "jack pad" when using a floor jack... My car is too low and the valance too far in front to get a jack under. By extension, lifting by the motor sump (which I would only do with a wood block type buffer between jack and engine) wouldn't raise my car too much anyway!

Last edited by racer; 01-27-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

1. Lift rear by the engine, using a hockey puck between the jack and the engine
2. I sometimes use the side jack hole with the aftermarket jack pad and a good floor jack.
3. I lift the front by using a floor jack and a 2x2 and place it on the unibody right behind the front A/C condenser, lifts both front wheels off the ground at the same time.
4. I use the torsion bar ends in the rear and where the torsion bar bolts to the unibody in the front.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:48 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

1) lift it by the engine sump? Rarely.
2) Use side jack hole mounts? With good, solid jack stand plate from aftermarket? For tire stuff & general lifting with #4
3) How do you lift up the front? Torsion cover at front & front rear with wood for the height adjustment screw area - depending on what I'm working on
4) Does everyone use the torsion bar ends for the jack stands? Yes inner & outer - depending on what I'm working on On the front too? See # 3

I have found that often to accomplish what I want to do, I have to jack one way & switch to another jack point midway to get the height I need. But I ALWAYS use jack stands as well as the jack to avoid a Porsche pancake made of me.

Ian
Old 01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Floor jack...get a 2X4 piece of wood...glue a rubber surface to it (like a flip flop sole) and use it to avoid scratches...if under the car, have it on jack stands and always have a back up for the jack stands...something like a couple of wheels...have fun in the garage but play safe!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:51 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

using a block of wood or a pad, on the engine case.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:41 AM
KCPSG
Rennlist Member

A block of wood on floor jack and I jack it up from under the case. The front I jack up from under the jack points just behind the front wheel wells and in front of the door, using the same floor jack and a block of wood. Once the rear of the car is up, you only ned to jack up from one side in the front and the whole front end comes up together and I place the stands under the front t bar covers.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Great tip about the wheel . I have always done this, whenever a project requires me to remove a wheel, under the car it goes. A habit that could save your life.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 PM
wholberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joel Lester
I don't want to beat up this topic but...

Sounds like a lot of owners feel differently about how they jack up their 911!

Do you...

1) lift it by the engine sump? Never
2) Use side jack hole mounts? With good, solid jack stand plate from aftermarket? Always
3) How do you lift up the front?I jack up the sides and then put jack stands underneath. I don't have a jack that is low enough to get under the front of the car.
4) Does everyone use the torsion bar ends for the jack stands? On the front too?I do.

Even the manuals differ in their opinion. This has got me almost psyched-out enough pay a mechanic to do the work.
I feel the side jack hole mounts were designed for this. My owners manual lists other acceptable jacking points. Although I have not needed to use most of them, I would not hesitate to do so.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Crivens
Instructor

Body near torsion bar ends, the big fat seams round the bends, just where you go with a four poster.

I can think of nothing worse than jacking on the engine, all that case shuffling.. oooh no thanks.

www.red964.com/html/dyndex.php
www.projectsonly.co.uk
Old 01-31-2006, 03:43 PM
911pcars
Racer

I jack the car up using a jack pad in the rocker, then slide a floor jack with a block of wood under the gearbox mount plate.

RE: Lifting by the engine.
Imagine putting your crankcase on a hydraulic press (sump plate up). Place a block of wood between the sump plate and the hydraulic ram, then pump the handle so you create 1600 lbs. of force on the sump plate (or whatever 60% of your vehicle weight is). Do you not think there's something under stress in this situation? That's what you're doing by jacking under the engine. The engine is not designed to be a structural member of the chassis otherwise they would have hung the suspension off of it.

Just because you read something on the internet or in a book doesn't necessarily mean it's correct. YMMV and MHO.

Sherwood

Quick Reply: Let's take a poll... how do you jack it up?