Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

new to the world of porsche **NOW WITH PICS***

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006 | 01:07 AM
j cookie
Intermediate

Default new to the world of porsche **NOW WITH PICS***

hey guys, i just picked up a 1980 porsche 911 sc with the 5 spd manual. the car has 63k on it and i have all maintenance records. a couple things i noticed about the car that is wrong is that the hand brake is very loose, the shifter definatly needs new bushings because it feels very loose. also the suspension feels like the struts are blown, but at the same time, it doesnt feel like you are riding on just springs. my theory is that the bushings are shot. my question for you guys is, what maitenance should i do over the whole car to make it 100%. im thinking things like, spark plugs, oil, shifter bushings, and some other things. what do you believe should be done? any help would be great! thanks guys

Last edited by j cookie; 01-24-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2006 | 01:41 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

J cookie:

The first question I'd have for you is whether you do your own mechanical work or not?

The answer to that frames how you'll deal with all of your questions.

16 yr old cars always have some issues to resolve so here goes:

1) The Hand brake may need adjustment, new shoes, or new cables.

2) The shifters almost always need a new shift coupler, shaft bushing, and the plastic cup below the shift tower. That will make a huge differerence. Cheap, too.

3) Depending on what shocks your car has, its likely that they need replacement. Take a look under there: Boge's are black & Bilstein's are green (or yellow).

4) 16 yr old 911's often need new suspension bushings due to age, not necessarily mileage. The ER Poly-Bronze units are the best replacements.

To get yourself back to square one, do this:

1) Change oil and filter (Mahle, only)

2) Change plugs, distributor cap & rotor

3) Change plug wires (Magnecor strongly recommended)

Hope this helps,
Old 01-22-2006 | 01:51 AM
j cookie
Intermediate

hey, thanks for the quick reply, i do repair all my own cars. i have been cruising around pelican parts and i plan to buy the short shift kit, the shifter bushing kit, the tune up kit, new wires, k&n Filter, new oem spark plug wires, new oil filter, im not sure whether or not to run synthetic oil. im not exactly shure what bushings i would need for the suspension. i guess i should just replace them all eventualy.

thanks for the help.
joe
Old 01-22-2006 | 02:10 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Joe:

Get yourself a copy of the Bentley 911SC repair manual.

Don't use the K&N; use an OEM paper filter.

Use Magnecor 8.5mm wires, these are FAR better than OEM ones.

Replace the fuel filter, too.

You can use a good dino oil like Kendall GT-1 20w-50 or Valvoline VR-1 20w-50. For synthetics, Mobil-1 15w-50 is super.

You can contact me directly about the suspension bushings if you wish.
Old 01-22-2006 | 10:32 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome to Rennlist & Porsche ownership, Joe.

They are easy to DIY, as long as you are willing to follow the advice of guys like Steve. He has given you some great places to start . . .

Ian
Old 01-22-2006 | 10:40 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Pictures??????????? We are demanding here!!!
Old 01-22-2006 | 11:24 AM
j cookie
Intermediate

i will get some pictures of the car for you guys today. i should have them posted by tonight. thanks for all the help.

joe
Old 01-22-2006 | 01:43 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Congratulations on your 911. It is very easy to spend money on these cars, enjoyable in fact. But, some things are really worth doing/addressing than others. Talk with people about what you are planning and get feedback. Steve Weiner @ Rennsport Systems is someone you need to establish a relationship with for advice and set up, 30+ years of experience with these cars and a passion to match.
Have fun,
Nick
Old 01-22-2006 | 04:28 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Don't forget valve adjustment if it has been a while, and also timing and mixture test (and adjustment if necessary). I highly recommend a Porsche specific independent shop with CIS experience. They will have a quality exhaust gas analyzer so you can get the CO set properly. There is a cheap gas analyzer that you can buy from a company called Gunson (I think), and some here use it, but I prefer to use a shop with a high quality gas analyzer. I paid $90 for a highly reputable local independent to do my timing and mixture after I did the valve adjustment myself. That's the only thing I've paid a shop to do so far. Everything else I do myself.

New plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, valve adjustment, and timing and mixture adjustment worked wonders for my 78 SC shortly after I got it. I purchased it with just 44,000 miles, but it still needed it.

Let's see pics for sure.

Brett
Old 01-22-2006 | 08:14 PM
j cookie
Intermediate

ok, for all you picture nuts, i do have a couple pictures of the car now, but i have no idea how to post them. if anyone can show me how to post them or wants to host them for me, that would be great.
thanks alot
joe
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:18 PM
gerry100
Pro

R&D Automotive ( 598 1273) in Albany almost under the RCA dog is the place to go for the work you can't handle yourself.

Rick is very knowledgeable and an enthusiast himself ( check out yesterday's Times Union in the capital region section).
Old 01-23-2006 | 01:30 PM
j cookie
Intermediate

funny you should mention them. i was actualy just in there this morning. rick seems to be a very knowledgeable guy. i was actualy in there to see if i could get a job sweeping the floors or doing oil changes, so i could learn all i can from him. seems like a great place to bring you car though. thanks

joe
Old 01-23-2006 | 01:35 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by j cookie
ok, for all you picture nuts, i do have a couple pictures of the car now, but i have no idea how to post them. if anyone can show me how to post them or wants to host them for me, that would be great.
thanks alot
joe
Joe,

Welcome to Rennlist - sounds like you've got a great car there.

See the instructions here as to how to upload pictures.

Marc
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:27 PM
j cookie
Intermediate

here hopefully is a picture of the car, if this works i have more to follow

Joe
Attached Images    
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:34 PM
j cookie
Intermediate

2 more
Attached Images