Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1989 Speedster with a token rear seat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigman_99
There were about 100 narrow body Speedsters built during the '89 run. All were European. As well, there were rumours of a couple of Slant nosed Speedsters as well but I have never been able to confirm this. All of the '89 Speedsters exported to the U.S. were wide body cars with Turbo suspension. I own #704 an no, please don't think about putting a rear seat in it. Just not a good idea.
Does anyone know how many Right Hand Drive Speedsters were made?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While putting rear seats in a Speedster may not be a good idea, the body sections are the same as the rest of the cars and it is completely possible and not that much work. The top requires the clamshell to hold it down in the back but you could probably fabricate a bracket to take it's place.
I agree with your opinion that it would make a good future collectible and still be a daily driver. It will be more expensive to acquire but will obviously return more in the end.
Both the 89 and 94 Speedsters are a blast to drive and while the tops are difficult to operate, it's not that bad!
Eventually, the desirable limited production cars gain value and they don't have to have been garage queens. How many early Speedsters or RS Carreras were?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I was told about narrow bodies:

By the way the production 964 Speedsters were all a narrowbodys. There were
15 classified as aftermarket widebodys built, but they all started as
narrowbodys and were cut up and welded by Werk 1.
Finding a genuine one of these from the original special customers is almost
impossible. I have only ever found one genuine ones. Even rarer of course is
the 993 Speedster of which there were seven, one narrowbody and six
widebodys

The source for this information was Adrian Streather. www.adrianstreather.com

Last edited by Jay Laifman; 11-06-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harold! Some said 141 some said 139. I wonder if the two widebody version we have in Singapore comes with the turbo suspension. I saw the black one this afternoon. Not that bad actually but I didn't really digged into it. I would love to offer S$100K for that & spend another 30K or so to rebuild but I already have a 911 & the fact that it's really not a practical car in our tropical weather might not make it for me.

SF
Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 AM
obersturm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedster with 4 seats

Hi all,

I know its an old thread, but I found this picture in an old catalog from Germany
( Cargraphic ?).

I was contemplating the same thing to accomodate my 7 and 9 year old kids for the quick trip down the beach or drop off/pick up duties during summer.

Can't see anyhting wrong with that and is totally reverseable if aftermarket bubble/clamshell is used instead of hacking into the original one.

Not sure about seatbelt mounts, but should be doable?

Best regards from downunder

Martin

P.S.: anybody interested in a kick *** Pioneer/Zappco stero system to delete rear seats shoot me an email mjhorATgmx.net

Quick Reply: 1989 Speedster with a token rear seat?